Willow Lake accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Willow Lake accident

Post by rijaca »

Wentzl wrote:
That canoe being there was cool and a beautiful gesture for someone to drag it up there for everyone. Too bad about the accident, but if the boat can be retrieved. . .
Maybe they ought to retrieve the body first....
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Dank
14ers: 27  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dank »

I'm sorry for the accident however I dont feel like the canoe should be ruined for everyone. Is it not irresponsible to go out on a high mountain lake near sunset in windy conditions without knowing how to swim?
grand806
14ers: 30 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by grand806 »

As one of the SAR volunteers tasked with sourcing assets to search for and then recover the subject I'll go with the recommendation of the Saguache SO: don't go out in a canoe without a life jacket, especially if the weather is anything but calm. Water that cold can bring on hypothermia in a matter of minutes.
A canoe will continue to float, even if capsized. The canoe is still up there, maybe without paddles.
The search has been suspended with the consent of the family. It could be days, weeks or months for the subject to surface. Some experts say he may never come up.
RIP
"If you lose your dreams, you will lose your mind" Rolling Stones, Ruby Tuesday
MountainDawg
14ers: 58  8  23 
13ers: 119
Trip Reports (4)

Post by MountainDawg »

Condolences to the family.
willow lake canoe.jpg
willow lake canoe.jpg (279.96 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Victim has been ID'd. Jesse Peterson of Alma. Man, I hope he wasn't a member of this site. The name sounds really familiar. Condolences to his family and friends, regardless. :(

Edit: We do have a Jesse Peterson. Same age, but he's listed on the other side of Hoosier Pass in Blue River.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

He claimed to be an Alma resident in a thread about Bross. If it is the same Jesse, sad to hear, RIP.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Yikes »

Barry Raven wrote:
According to Josh Wilfong, scuba dive teams have been consulted about the possibility of a scuba search. But whether they could be successful is very doubtful because at that altitude scuba equipment only allows a ten-minute bottom time on full tanks, and a complete search of the lake could take weeks of diving.
I haven't dived at altitute, but I don't think this statement is correct. Decompression times will differ because of the lower atmospheric pressure at the surface but the air consumption should be less if anything underwater.
you got me curious. especially since i was diving last week, albeit at sea level.

http://www.8thelementdiving.com/scuba_math/altitude.php
with WillowLake at 11500, it makes a 50' dive behave like a 75' dive. which would be about 30min bottom time. an 80' dive behaves like a 120' dive, with 13min bottom time. i don't know how deep the lake actually is. those times only indicate the No Decompression Limits, not the amount of oxygen available in the tanks.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Rest in peace, Jesse.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

tmathews wrote:Victim has been ID'd. Jesse Peterson of Alma. Man, I hope he wasn't a member of this site. The name sounds really familiar. Condolences to his family and friends, regardless. :(

Edit: We do have a Jesse Peterson. Same age, but he's listed on the other side of Hoosier Pass in Blue River.
I met Jesse a couple years ago on the way down from Keller Mountain. A genuinely nice man. RIP....
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

He's a fellow Gore Range afficianado. R.I.P.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

RIP Jesse...