Willow Lake accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
grand806
14ers: 30 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Willow Lake accident

Post by grand806 »

Anybody have any solid info on boating accident at Willow Lake (Crestones) Friday May,25th?
"If you lose your dreams, you will lose your mind" Rolling Stones, Ruby Tuesday
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Willow Lake accident

Post by jdorje »

There is a canoe up there, that's been there for nearly a year I believe, complete with a couple of paddles. With the wind the way it is (I was up there Wednesday) I didn't think it was safe to go out on the lake solo.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
MountainDawg
14ers: 58  8  23 
13ers: 119
Trip Reports (4)

Post by MountainDawg »

I had seen that cannoe up there last year. I found it entertaining that someone carried it up there.
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

I remember talking to folks at the Crestone Music fest last year about that boat, it was well known locally who carried up there and they never intended to carry it back out~
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

There was a group of Outward Bound instructors doing training. I talked to one who was waiting for SAR and he told me that a guy and a girl took the canoe out the night before. He said they were a young couple from Breckenridge and that he fell out of the canoe and drowned. Not sure what the winds were like Friday night but they were horrendous on Saturday AM.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

http://crestoneeagle.com/2012/05/30/man ... -accident/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A sad story. Winds were pretty bad on Friday.

What are the health concerns of having a dead body at the bottom of the lake?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

jdorje wrote:http://crestoneeagle.com/2012/05/30/man ... -accident/

At that temp? I would put it close to zero.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

jdorje wrote:http://crestoneeagle.com/2012/05/30/man ... -accident/

Really sad. I don't know if I would go out on a boat if I didn't know how to swim. :|

Also -- there's a glacier up there? This is news to me. :wft:
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I guess somebody needs to destroy that canoe, before it happens again.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

According to Josh Wilfong, scuba dive teams have been consulted about the possibility of a scuba search. But whether they could be successful is very doubtful because at that altitude scuba equipment only allows a ten-minute bottom time on full tanks, and a complete search of the lake could take weeks of diving.
I haven't dived at altitute, but I don't think this statement is correct. Decompression times will differ because of the lower atmospheric pressure at the surface but the air consumption should be less if anything underwater.
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

My wife and I hiked Kit Carson and Challenger last summer, and I actually met the guy who had just recently carried the canoe to the lake. He was a somewhat unique fellow, equipped with firearms and all. We saw multiple groups of people using the canoe while we were there...really sad!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Jim Davies wrote:I guess somebody needs to destroy that canoe, before it happens again.
Please tell me this is tongue in cheek to mock the over protective nanny society and that this is not what you would do given the chance. I may be too dim to pick up on your sophisticated sarcasm, but seriously?

That canoe being there was cool and a beautiful gesture for someone to drag it up there for everyone. Too bad about the accident, but if the boat can be retrieved. . .
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice