R.I.P. Harvey T. Carter

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

R.I.P. Harvey T. Carter

Post by susanjoypaul »

Stewart Green is reporting on his FB page that Harvey T. Carter passed away today.

You've probably all heard of Harvey, and know that - as noted in an article by Dave Philipps at the Colorado Springs Gazette - he "founded Climbing Magazine, held the world's first bouldering competition, or likely has more first ascents than anyone in the world."

That article is here and I'm sure we'll hear more Harvey T. Carter memories in the coming days.

Peace to his family and friends. He lived a big life.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Re: R.I.P. Harvey T. Carter

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Many of us owe a great debt to Mr. Carter.

Susan, thanks for posting.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Another climbing luminary and legendary pioneer passes on. May his adventurous spirit rest in peace forever. Condolences to family and friends.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

I saw this too. He was sure a legend. I'll be thinking of him down in the Fishers in a few weeks.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
colorado yooper
14ers: 40  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by colorado yooper »

I used to sit with him over coffee at Java the Hut in Woodland Park. He was always scheming and had lots of Beta if you asked. He'll be missed. RIP
To the High Crags!
mennoguy
14ers: 43 
13ers: 339
Trip Reports (44)

Post by mennoguy »

I met him a few times while hiking Sentinel when he lived up past the Crags Campground. I remember the first time I met him I didn't know he was a famous climber. He would point out routes on many of the spires and faces near the Crags. I'll think of him next time I hike or run that section of the RTP trail. RIP
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

So sad. Thank you for posting this.

I remember Harvey from when I lived in Manitou Springs.

RIP
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

an Aspen Times article on Harvey Carter...

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20120 ... ofile=1058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-km
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

A blog - and another Harvey Carter story - from Lou Dawson: http://www.wildsnow.com/1135/harvey-carters-saves/

I hope folks are taking the time to read these articles. Nothing gives you more appreciation for what we do than discovering the history behind it, learning about the pioneers that led the way - and beginning to understand the commonalities we all share in our passion for it. It's a very basic, human instinct, this climbing. Some do it better than others, and some express the experience better, but when you strip away all the gear and the gizmos it's pretty raw stuff. Nobody understood that better than the guys who started it all.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Superbly stated, Susan. He will be missed, rest in peace.
-Tom
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Susan,

Thanks for posting!

What an amazing climber! Truly a legend.
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

There's a memorial planned for Harvey at the Garden of the Gods Trading Post in Colorado Springs, on Friday April 20th at 2 PM, for those who would like to pay their respects.

Colorado Public Radio interviewed his friend, fellow 14ers.com member Stewart Green, about Harvey. The audio file is posted on their website at Remembering Climbing Legend Harvey Carter.