Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Post by schrund »

"A massive search for a hiker who has been missing for a week in the Holy Cross Wilderness was suspended Saturday"...Channel 7 News, October 2nd, 2005 [http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/50 ... etail.html]. This is just weird... :|
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
Spoke537
14ers: 48  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Spoke537 »

Mountainspirit wrote:
Spoke537 wrote:I just saw a picture of the missing Holy Cross hiker, James, on 9 news. I saw him on Oct 3 as I descended Holy Cross on the Fall Creek Trail at the intersection with the Notch Mtn trail. I even asked him if I was headed in the right direction for the Half Moon Trailhead. He continued on the Fall Creek Trail and did not start the ascent up the Notch Mtn Trail. He was a big guy with an orange shirt and and fully loaded multiday pack. I doubt I can be of much help now but maybe I can at least offer a final sighting that he was indeed out there. Sure hope he's alright and they find him soon.

Les
Les,
Just to be safe, contact Vail Mountain Rescue at (970) 479-2200 .
Thanks for your efforts!
Spoke with a deputy covering the case. I have no doubt I saw James last Sunday. Hopefully my info can help piece together a timeline and they find James safe and sound.

Les
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage." - Anais Nin
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Spoke537 wrote:
Mountainspirit wrote:
Spoke537 wrote:I just saw a picture of the missing Holy Cross hiker, James, on 9 news. I saw him on Oct 3 as I descended Holy Cross on the Fall Creek Trail at the intersection with the Notch Mtn trail. I even asked him if I was headed in the right direction for the Half Moon Trailhead. He continued on the Fall Creek Trail and did not start the ascent up the Notch Mtn Trail. He was a big guy with an orange shirt and and fully loaded multiday pack. I doubt I can be of much help now but maybe I can at least offer a final sighting that he was indeed out there. Sure hope he's alright and they find him soon.

Les
Les,
Just to be safe, contact Vail Mountain Rescue at (970) 479-2200 .
Thanks for your efforts!
Spoke with a deputy covering the case. I have no doubt I saw James last Sunday. Hopefully my info can help piece together a timeline and they find James safe and sound.

Les
Thanks Les!

Scott
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Suspending a search is disturbing, it's gotta be very difficult - sure hope he's ok and warm.
My thoughts and prayers are with James.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

It couldn't hurt to hike in the area he is believed to be, right? If nothing else, there is no search you could get in the way of, and maybe he was hiding in a cave or who knows. Maybe I'll do a little hiking in the area. Maybe make a little map of the planned route.

I remember last year when I wanted to help search, the hikers were found 25 miles from the trailhead they were supposed to return to.
http://woundedtimes.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... riend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This article says 15 to 20 miles.

But anyway, I guess what I'm wondering is most likely where is he?
1) He wanted to dissapear (not likely, very rare cases)
2) He's way off trail
3) He's tucked away somewhere where they didn't find him.

If he has warm clothes and a water filter, he could survive for ~2-4 weeks without food as long as he isn't injured severely. If you look at the picture of him, he's got an emergency whistle attached to his shoulder strap, but apparently no one heard him blowing it...
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
tombesore
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tombesore »

Some of us back in Chicago feel rather helpless to assist our friend James Nelson. We're so close and yet so far away! Of course we understand that over one hundred searchers have combed the area looking for James to no avail. But we also think that just one more sweep or one more person might be the miracle necessary to bring James home safely. Of course, we here in Chicago are wary of getting in the way or needing rescue ourselves should we venture out there as the weather picture changes for the winter. For those of you who know the area and have been part of the search, thanks for looking for our friend. We'd do the same for you in different circumstances!
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I have confidence SAR thoroughly scoured any area I would think to look. But even before hearing of this I thought about doing Holy Cross this next weekend. His route circles the mountain. I will keep my eyes open. I’ll scan around with binoculars. My thoughts are with James and his loved ones.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

I have some friends running the Holy Cross 4x4 Trail this weekend. I also told them to keep their eyes open.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

djkest wrote:But anyway, I guess what I'm wondering is most likely where is he?
1) He wanted to dissapear (not likely, very rare cases)
2) He's way off trail
3) He's tucked away somewhere where they didn't find him.
1) No way now after the confirmed Oct 3rd sighting by Les.
2)Definitely true after SAR coming up empty with all their searching.
3)This is the problem with Holy Cross Wilderness. Massive boulder fields comprised of very large boulders creating thousands of small caves and coves. These would be the places you'd expect a person to go to get out of the weather if something has gone wrong. Unfortunately this makes them invisible from the air and any distance so each little one must be individually searched. Add to that the mining in activity in the area too.
djkest wrote:It couldn't hurt to hike in the area he is believed to be, right? If nothing else, there is no search you could get in the way of, and maybe he was hiding in a cave or who knows. Maybe I'll do a little hiking in the area. Maybe make a little map of the planned route.
This is really his best chance now is that some hiker will stumble across him. If you can go hiking in that area go. He's not likely to be on his intended route so a hike anywhere in the area could potentially be one that leads to finding him.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
GulchGal
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GulchGal »

I had a question about the photo of him at Fall Creek. Is this part of the Holy Cross hike? If so, they said he didn't have a cell phone, so did someone else upload the photo and send it out or was it a photo from the past?
mtn-grown
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn-grown »

Yeah I was thinking he got into a little boulder cave to escape weather and maybe something shifted, getting Ralston'd basically.
Prayers for his safe return.
I finger cracks.
Colorado dreaming
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado dreaming »

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in any of the articles but did he have a Spot or other beacon/locator type device? The articles mention he had no phone but nothing about beacons (although if he did, I would think the article would mention it). Is this a type of area which would impede satellite location?

I hope for his safe and quick return.