Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Post by sgladbach »

My prayers are for peace for your family. James needs none.

Bless you all.

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Condolences from here to the family. The hiking and climbing community here all lost a great friend in James most of us never met.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

I pray this gives your family some sort of closure and eases the pain. Our condolences go out to your family.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

wondering, now that the dust has settled from his recovery; where, in relation to the search areas, was he located?
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by schrund »

I heard he descended the Holy Cross road a bit below Holy Cross City and was camped behind a rock outcropping out of view from the road. The reported itinerary had him continuing through Holy Cross City, not turning at the road. There were also reports that he had written about effects from altitude in his journal; so he may have descended the road a bit in order to lose altitude (a guess on my part).
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
catlyoung
Trip Reports (0)

Post by catlyoung »

Hi,
This is James' mother. We will never really know what happened to James, nor has the family heard any theoryies or guesses from Search and Reascue or the County Coronory. I feel it is a safe assumption and guess that he was not feeling well and felt he was suffering from altitude sickness and did descend the road to go down in altitude. My assumption is that either he wasn't feeling well enought to continue or it was late in the day and he decided to make camp, spend the night and then continue on out the road the next day. What happened after making camp is anyones guess. In my heart I feel he planned to spend the night and continue out down the road the next day hoping to go lower in altitude or run into someone that could help him. My assumption is that he died in his sleep from plumonary edema or heart arrythmias. Just a guess but it is something that I can wrap my mind around and gives me an explination that is feasable and believeable and thus brings me comfort. Only God knows what happened.

I can't thank all the 14ers enough for caring so much and for their own searches these last 19 months for my son, James. Your kindness and support has been heartwarming and has meant so much to James' family. Thank you all again for your compassion, it will never be forgotten. I pray God walks with each of you on all your climbs and keeps you safe.

The family is planning a remebrance of James' life on Saturday, July 21st at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Iowa City, Iowa at 1:00 pm. There will be a time of fellowship after the service at the church.
Friends, family, and collegues are also invited to James' childhood home on Friday night, July 20th, 1234 Dover St. Iowa City from 3 pm to 6 pm to celebrate James with pizza and beer.

May God Bless all of you. Safe travels, my friends.