Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Re: Lost Hiker on Mt Holy Cross

Postby colokeith » Tue May 29, 2012 5:03 pm

I saw this story come up on Facebook, and immediately knew this had to be james. My condolences to his family. At least he spent his last days in beautiful surroundings!!
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby catlyoung » Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Thank you for the lovely and comforting prayer. I know James walks with God now.

Postby dave_navy_VA » Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Edwin Baker's words were adopted by a number of college fraternities, including mine, and certainly apply to the special fraternity of the gentle, positive and caring of your son's chosen field who also find the need as we all do - to sometimes go our own way, solo but never alone, perhaps to reflect and plan how to best serve.

There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone; All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own!

Postby sgladbach » Wed May 30, 2012 7:30 am

My prayers are for peace for your family. James needs none.

Bless you all.

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed May 30, 2012 10:15 am

Condolences from here to the family. The hiking and climbing community here all lost a great friend in James most of us never met.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby JA_son27 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:39 am

I pray this gives your family some sort of closure and eases the pain. Our condolences go out to your family.
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby tenpins » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:53 pm

wondering, now that the dust has settled from his recovery; where, in relation to the search areas, was he located?

Postby schrund » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 pm

I heard he descended the Holy Cross road a bit below Holy Cross City and was camped behind a rock outcropping out of view from the road. The reported itinerary had him continuing through Holy Cross City, not turning at the road. There were also reports that he had written about effects from altitude in his journal; so he may have descended the road a bit in order to lose altitude (a guess on my part).
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby catlyoung » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi,
This is James' mother. We will never really know what happened to James, nor has the family heard any theoryies or guesses from Search and Reascue or the County Coronory. I feel it is a safe assumption and guess that he was not feeling well and felt he was suffering from altitude sickness and did descend the road to go down in altitude. My assumption is that either he wasn't feeling well enought to continue or it was late in the day and he decided to make camp, spend the night and then continue on out the road the next day. What happened after making camp is anyones guess. In my heart I feel he planned to spend the night and continue out down the road the next day hoping to go lower in altitude or run into someone that could help him. My assumption is that he died in his sleep from plumonary edema or heart arrythmias. Just a guess but it is something that I can wrap my mind around and gives me an explination that is feasable and believeable and thus brings me comfort. Only God knows what happened.

I can't thank all the 14ers enough for caring so much and for their own searches these last 19 months for my son, James. Your kindness and support has been heartwarming and has meant so much to James' family. Thank you all again for your compassion, it will never be forgotten. I pray God walks with each of you on all your climbs and keeps you safe.

The family is planning a remebrance of James' life on Saturday, July 21st at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Iowa City, Iowa at 1:00 pm. There will be a time of fellowship after the service at the church.
Friends, family, and collegues are also invited to James' childhood home on Friday night, July 20th, 1234 Dover St. Iowa City from 3 pm to 6 pm to celebrate James with pizza and beer.

May God Bless all of you. Safe travels, my friends.

Previous