Spencer Swanger

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jwalter
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Spencer Swanger

Post by jwalter »

I met Spencer and Karen on a trip he was leading up Huron and Missouri. With his humor and skills he introduced me to a group of mountaineering friends. Spencer was my mentor. He guided so many people, like me safely up the,oftentimes, treacherous trails. Now I am on the precipice of completing all 54 of Colorado's 14ers. I will forever be grateful to him. I will miss him tremendously, but his spirit will always be with me on the trails.
RIP Dear Friend!

Larry Walter
Kristy Burns
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kristy Burns »

More great memories.
Attachments
On the way to San Luis
On the way to San Luis
San Luis II Resize.JPG (52.33 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Kristy Burns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kristy Burns »

What a great day.
Attachments
Great people on a great Mountain
Great people on a great Mountain
Uncompahgre resize.JPG (45.26 KiB) Viewed 4081 times
Kristy Burns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kristy Burns »

AAAAHHHH!!!!
Attachments
Topic of discussion:  I love my life
Topic of discussion: I love my life
camp at buckskin canyon utah resize.JPG (70.49 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
kachbk1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kachbk1 »

I first met Spence the very first week I moved to Colorado Springs. I was completing my Physical Therapy internship and in typical Spence fashion, he befriended me immediately. Over the last 14 years, Spence and Karen have opened their hearts and lives to myself and my family. I have so many splendid memories of climbs, backpacking, cross country skiing, and eating pizza at Leon Gessi's :-) We spent 3 weeks in Canada with Spence and Karen that was truly the trip of a life time. We climbed Temple Peak, hiked on the Athabasca glacier along with many other spectacular adventures. Spence's knowledge of the mountains and ability to lead a group was unparalled. His stories could make me laugh for miles....you almost forgot you were climbing straight up a mountain with a heavy pack on in the middle of a hot summer day :-) To say you will be missed, is a gross understatement. Your knowledge and memories will stay with us all for a lifetime. Karen, please know, we are all here for you and always will be....

I received this card in the mail today and thought it was so appropriate for Spence:

Native American Prayer

I gave you this one thought to keep-
I am with you still- I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not think of me as gone-
I am with you still- in each new dawn.

Spence you are in our hearts now and forever....

Kristen
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

kachbk1 wrote:I received this card in the mail today and thought it was so appropriate for Spence:

Native American Prayer

I gave you this one thought to keep-
I am with you still- I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not think of me as gone-
I am with you still- in each new dawn.
Beautiful.
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

Spence rest in peace. Prayers to family. :(
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I did a climb of Maroon Peak over the weekend and dedicated it to Spence. I wrote a report on it if anyone is interested. Personal comments on Spence are near the end. Since writing this TR, I've heard that The Bells were some of his favorite peaks, which I did not know.
RIP Spence

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Unfortunate.

He sounded like a class act, I'm sorry I never had the privilege of meeting him.
Jack C
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jack C »

My name is Jack Crawford, and I played baseball with Spence in Reading in 1958, what was known as class "C" ball. I never saw him after that, but he was a person that everyone liked, and even though we went to different high schools, he was a great person to be around. The fact that this death is a shock, shows how much he meant to persons that knew him. God Bless his family.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

The family has settled on Tuesday, August 24th, 4:30-7:30 p.m., at the Garden of the Gods Trading Post for the memorial service. They're going to put something in the paper about it mid-August, so we can look for that as well, for more details.

I believe they want to keep it to friends and family only, as the Trading Post holds just 150 people. But if you've ever hiked, climbed, backpacked, skied, canyoneered, mountaineered, lifted weights at the gym, did the Incline, took photographs, played ball, or just sat around the campfire and told stories - with Spence - you're cordially invited. If more folks show up than expected we can always spill out into the gardens and enjoy the mountain views, sandstone walls and lush greenery - it's a beautiful setting.
wonderwi
14ers: 52  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wonderwi »

Susanjoypaul,

You're a class-act with a heart of gold! It's great to have your input, sensitivity and humor on this site!

Hang tough!
There are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few that will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping. Author Unknown