Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Post by tenpins »

crunchy8it wrote:
tenpins wrote:Volunteer SAR teams that participated, in no particular order at all:

Alamosa Valley SAR (home team)
Custer County SAR
El Paso County SAR
Rio Grande SAR
Western State College Mountain Rescue Team (Durango)

If I missed anyone, I apologize. Also other organizations were represented in the command post, but I cant say who.
FYI: The Western State Mountain Rescue Team is out of Gunnison, not Durango.
I always get them confused for some reason. Thanks for the spot check!
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

In regards to pictures.. I'm in the process of writing up my last trip report with him. This included Blanca, Ellingwood, and Little Bear. I have sent as many pictures as i have to the parents, if any one else has individual photos you can email them to me and i will pass them on to the family. My email is travis19877@gmail.com

Travis
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

travis19877 wrote:All the donations will go into one bank account, and once everything is totalled it will be divided up between LHSP, SAR Teams, and 14ers.com/CFI. You don't need to worry about donating to who, if the decision is made to donate to all that participated in the rescue, I will personally drive to wherever necessary.
you will be able to get hold of the SAR coordinator or team leader through the respective county's sheriff's offices. So you dont have to drive all over the state!
DavidF
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DavidF »

I would really like to view this video, but I can't get it to work. I even verified that my Adobe Flash and Quicktime files are all up to date. I can't even think about downloading the video through the download option, I am forced to use a satellite internet connection and that would far exceed my usage limits, and would take 2 days even if I could. I've tried this multiple times over the last couple days hoping it was a server problem, but it does not appear to be so.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get this to work or know of any other place where this video is available on low to medium resolution. I tried finding it on You Tube with no luck and could not view it through the Channel 7 internet article over this tragedy.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23 ... etail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://exposureroom.com/members/Reflect ... 56be79570/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

DavidF wrote:I would really like to view this video, but I can't get it to work. I even verified that my Adobe Flash and Quicktime files are all up to date. I can't even think about downloading the video through the download option, I am forced to use a satellite internet connection and that would far exceed my usage limits, and would take 2 days even if I could. I've tried this multiple times over the last couple days hoping it was a server problem, but it does not appear to be so.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get this to work or know of any other place where this video is available on low to medium resolution. I tried finding it on You Tube with no luck and could not view it through the Channel 7 internet article over this tragedy.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23 ... etail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://exposureroom.com/members/Reflect ... 56be79570/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It works fine here...maybe restarting your computer, and clearing your cache may help and then copy and paste the link into your browser. See if that may work. And I am trying to get a copy of the video to upload in a different location that may help. In the meantime, here is the link again:

cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Also try using FireFox, Chrome, or Safari. Sometimes IE doesn't play nice with different websites. Who am I kidding, I am a programmer of applications that interface with web-browsers, IE is the WORST browser when it comes to this stuff. Give another one a try.
JDenver
14ers: 25  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JDenver »

..also love the idea of setting up a scholarship in Kevin's name. What about a scholarship for teens who would not usually have the opportunity to get into the mtns and climb?

This is a great idea, I had tried to get something like this going last year through a leadership program. There are a lot of kids that have to work every summer and don't get the opportunity to enjoy Colorado and the mountains. Have an essay contest and whoever wants it, and funding permitting, this community could set up some days on the easier 14ers.

This as always is a sobering time but we can use the energy and support to make positive change. My thoughts and prayers are with Kevin's family and friends, and all of those who find joy at or above 14,000 feet. Travis you did the right thing, people will comment on other forums about the dangers associated with this passion of ours, don't listen to them. Finish that peak list, carry on the mission, and use this forum and community as a way to heal.

Thank you all for your insipration and one more prayer I would like to send out to all of the other members of this community who have been lost.
Rocky Mountain Native
DavidF
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DavidF »

cbauer10 wrote:Also try using FireFox, Chrome, or Safari. Sometimes IE doesn't play nice with different websites. Who am I kidding, I am a programmer of applications that interface with web-browsers, IE is the WORST browser when it comes to this stuff. Give another one a try.
I have Firefox and IE and had tried them both before posting. Usually when one doesn't load or work, the other one does, but not this time.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

I just saw this obit: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/denver ... =143614527
KEVIN ANDREW HAYNE
Age 18, of Highlands Ranch. Son of Lynn and Beth Hayne. Brother of Alyssa Hayne. Grandson of Doris (David) Roos and Leroy and Kaye Hanenburg. Celebration of Life 10:00 AM, Monday, June 21, 2010, Cherry Hills Community Church Worship Center, 3900 Grace Blvd., Highlands Ranch with reception following. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions can be made to Lutheran High School Parker or Colorado Search and Rescue in Kevin's memory.
swadmin
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 174 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swadmin »

Haven't heard the terrible news until this morning. I had the pleasure hiking Mt. Elbert with Kevin on Jan. 9th, and he shared his experience on the Bells last year. A very nice young man with bright future...

RIP, my friend.
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

The plaque will cost roughly 200$.

We will have the memorial fund up and running by monday. Our goal is to raise 500$ and all of the money donated will go directly to the plaque and any extra money will be held for LHSP, SAR, 14ers.com, and the CFI. Once the money is totaled, it will be decided how the money be donated to the different organizations. Those of you who have offered to buy the plaque, feel free to donate the full cost of it and your money will go to just as good of a cause.
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

We have the Memorial Fund Account set up at Wells Fargo Bank, through the "Kevin Hayne Memorial Fund." If you wanted to make a deposit directly to the account from any Wells Fargo Branch, just go in and tell them that you want to make the donation into the Kevin Hayne Memorial Fund" and they should be able to accommodate you; further you could mail your donation directly to:

Wells Fargo Bank N.A.,
1717 Grant Street
Denver, CO 80203
Attn: Kevin Hayne Memorial Fund

And, lastly and for those who want technology - Paypal... we are currently setting this up, I hope to have it running by Monday (6/21/10). They need to verify the brand new account before directly linking to it. Once that happens, we will start a new thread with that link.

Thanks all!

Bill.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus