Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
5Wood
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Post by 5Wood »

Hi Travis:

I am sure you know by my just created name that you know who this is... I have read all twenty pages of this thread, which is an amazing tribute to your friend. You are a remarkable young man, and I know you know, that you are surrounded by outstanding and faithful friends at LHSP. You are in my prayers and I look forward to seeing you soon. God Bless and I love you.
Mr. M
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

What a sad surprise. I enjoyed meeting both Kevin and Travis briefly on Blanca and the traverse to Ellingwood the day before. My condolences to Travis and the Hayne family.

EDIT: Travis, I just read through some of the rest of the thread. I will be climbing the Aspen area peaks next week, and you would be welcome to join me.
Last edited by seano on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markwise
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 31 1
Trip Reports (23)

Post by Markwise »

Please pass my condolences on to all the family and friends in Kevin's life. It breaks my heart hearing all that has happened and remembering him describe the events of last summer with the incident on the Bells. I watched the Faith video he made and it is a remarkable witness of his faith in Christ.

It hurts even more reading of Kevin as valedictorian at the Lutheran High School. I teach at a Lutheran High School in Michigan and I know what close-knit communities they are. My heart goes out to all their students and teachers who saw Kevin grow and now bid him on to be with the Lord. But as Christians we know there are fitting words for days like these: Christ is risen, He is risen indeed!
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Pictures of the Chinook that attempted the initial rescue, and a few additional details, have been posted in this thread http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colora ... /106798905. Sounds like a strong effort from all involved in the SAR.

Again, very sorry for your loss.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Here's the pics for those who don't feel like following the link:

Absolutely amazing it came down like that and no one was killed.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
slopestyle
14ers: 14  4  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by slopestyle »

RIP Kevin

~Sam
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY s**t!!...WHAT A HELL OF A RIDE!!!!"
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Wesley wrote:Pictures of the Chinook that attempted the initial rescue, and a few additional details, have been posted in this thread http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colora ... /106798905. Sounds like a strong effort from all involved in the SAR.

Again, very sorry for your loss.
Kudos to the pilot for landing the aircraft and saving lives. It was extremely fortunate there was a place large-enough to land up there....
badknees
Trip Reports (0)

Post by badknees »

I just heard that Kevin's service will be Monday, June 21 @ 10am, at Cherry Hills Community Church in Highlands Ranch.
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

badknees wrote:I just heard that Kevin's service will be Monday, June 21 @ 10am, at Cherry Hills Community Church in Highlands Ranch.
Yep.
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
mtn114
14ers: 10 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn114 »

Travis I hope you find the peace and solace Kevin enjoys in heaven. God bless you and RIP Kevin.
I see no reason
why our dear Baron's wisdom
should ever be forgot.
Continuing to spread his wisdom on:
Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer (nice try), Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners
dfish
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dfish »

Earlier posts mention the parallels between Kevin and Lygon Stevens (who also died on Little Bear and who was also known for her faith), and I think the families & friends of both Kevin and Lygon could be a comfort to each other. I don't know either of the families myself, but here are some links about Lygon which may help Kevin's family & friends decide if they want to connect (if they haven't already):

http://www.climbingforchrist.org/Defaul ... tabid=2443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.heightsoffaith.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2 Samuel 22:34 "He makes my feet like hinds' feet, And sets me on my high places..."
Truly, Kevin is safe with God, restored in God, happy with God. Time is only a constraint for us on earth. Kevin is no longer constrained by time, but he is with you for eternity as he does not have to "wait" to be with you since eternity has no beginning and no end. What an awesome gift his presence in your lives has been and his memory will continue to be.

As a participant in the recovery effort, I learned that Kevin, although deceased, did not spend the night alone on the mountain. Rescuers stayed by his side all night. I felt that was worth mentioning.
"There is probably no pleasure equal to the pleasure of
climbing a dangerous Alp, but it is a pleasure which is
confined strictly to people who can find pleasure in it."
-- Mark Twain
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

dfish wrote:As a participant in the recovery effort, I learned that Kevin, although deceased, did not spend the night alone on the mountain. Rescuers stayed by his side all night. I felt that was worth mentioning.
Very.... Comforting, as well.