Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
leelaasa1
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Post by leelaasa1 »

I have read all 22 pages of this thread, every word of every post, and I will continue to do so. I am so proud to be part of this climbing community as well. I have climbed with several people on here and have met several of my own climbing partners through here and have always been impressed with the feeling of safety I have had that those people would care for me or back me up if I needed it. This very thread is a testament to that.

Travis, for such a young soul, you are incredibly brave and an inspiration to many. I hope to have the great fortune of climbing with you someday, perhaps this summer. I will very likely be at the memorial service on Monday and hope to meet you then. I also hope to meet your family as well as Kevin's family because they have raised two utterly amazing young men and I would be honored to tell them that personally.

There was an earlier post re: the short and long-term emotional effects a tragedy like this has on those directly involved in the climb or rescue, family, friends, etc. If anyone reading this would like some referrals for psych services in their area, don't hesitate to contact me and I would be happy to provide a good referral if I can, since I know many other mental health practitioners in Colorado.
"I scrambled to the top of the precipice where Nick was waiting. "That was fun," I said. "You bet it was," said Nick. "Let's climb higher." "No," I said. "I think we should be heading back now." "We have time," Nick insisted. I said we didn't, and Nick said we did. We argued back and forth like that for about 20 minutes, then finally decided to head back. I didn't say it was an interesting story.” - Jack Handy
leelaasa1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by leelaasa1 »

Also, as we now know the extent to which a rescue takes place, perhaps some of the donations could be given to rescue teams across Colorado too? I also love the idea of setting up a scholarship in Kevin's name. What about a scholarship for teens who would not usually have the opportunity to get into the mtns and climb?
"I scrambled to the top of the precipice where Nick was waiting. "That was fun," I said. "You bet it was," said Nick. "Let's climb higher." "No," I said. "I think we should be heading back now." "We have time," Nick insisted. I said we didn't, and Nick said we did. We argued back and forth like that for about 20 minutes, then finally decided to head back. I didn't say it was an interesting story.” - Jack Handy
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

leelaasa1 wrote:Also, as we now know the extent to which a rescue takes place, perhaps some of the donations could be given to rescue teams across Colorado too? I also love the idea of setting up a scholarship in Kevin's name. What about a scholarship for teens who would not usually have the opportunity to get into the mtns and climb?
The Hayne's announced the want the memorial funds to go to LHSP and the SAR.
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

travis19877 wrote:
leelaasa1 wrote:Also, as we now know the extent to which a rescue takes place, perhaps some of the donations could be given to rescue teams across Colorado too? I also love the idea of setting up a scholarship in Kevin's name. What about a scholarship for teens who would not usually have the opportunity to get into the mtns and climb?
The Hayne's announced the want the memorial funds to go to LHSP and the SAR.
Any particular SAR organization or just ones local to us?
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

Volunteer SAR teams that participated, in no particular order at all:

Alamosa Valley SAR (home team)
Custer County SAR
El Paso County SAR
Rio Grande SAR
Western State College Mountain Rescue Team (Gunnison)

If I missed anyone, I apologize. Also other organizations were represented in the command post, but I cant say who.
Last edited by tenpins on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imawannabe
Trip Reports (0)

Post by imawannabe »

My husband and I are planning our first 14 in September and I was doing research on this sight earlier today. The first TR that I read was posted by Kevin8020 and I was drawn to find any other TR that he had posted...... and then I saw this thread. I have read every word of every post with tears in my eyes. I have never met any of you (I live in Dallas) but I am amazed at this whole community and the outpouring of faith and love. Kevin sounds like he was the kind of young man that I would have been proud to know. My heart goes out to his family, Travis, and the rest of the 14er community. Even in Dallas we feel your loss. May God's abundant grace see you all through this very difficult time.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

tenpins wrote:Volunteer SAR teams that participated, in no particular order at all:

Custer County SAR
El Paso County SAR
Rio Grande SAR
Western State College Mountain Rescue Team (Durango)

If I missed anyone, I apologize. Also other organizations were represented in the command post, but I cant say who.
Tenpins, I looked up these organizations online and it appears that only El Paso County and Western State College Mountain Rescue have the ability to accept donations online (it doesn't appear Rio Grande SAR has a website). Do you know how members would go about donating to the other organizations if they want to?
crunchy8it
14ers: 20 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crunchy8it »

tenpins wrote:Volunteer SAR teams that participated, in no particular order at all:

Custer County SAR
El Paso County SAR
Rio Grande SAR
Western State College Mountain Rescue Team (Durango)

FYI: The Western State Mountain Rescue Team is out of Gunnison, not Durango.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

g wrote:
tmathews wrote:
Wesley wrote:Pictures of the Chinook that attempted the initial rescue, and a few additional details, have been posted in this thread http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colora ... /106798905. Sounds like a strong effort from all involved in the SAR.

Again, very sorry for your loss.
Kudos to the pilot for landing the aircraft and saving lives. It was extremely fortunate there was a place large-enough to land up there....
Huge +1 on that. Anybody know how they're going to get the Chinook out of there?
I heard that the most effective way that they can do it is by bringing in another chopper (or two) to lift it out, but I dunno. I also heard they might disassemble it and airlift it out in pieces or fly a repair crew in to replace the rear rotor.
travis19877
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by travis19877 »

All the donations will go into one bank account, and once everything is totalled it will be divided up between LHSP, SAR Teams, and 14ers.com/CFI. You don't need to worry about donating to who, if the decision is made to donate to all that participated in the rescue, I will personally drive to wherever necessary.
Luke 1:37 - For nothing is impossible with God
leelaasa1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by leelaasa1 »

Travis, I cannot get over what a great role model you are to others your age. Role model to anyone, really. Kudos to you. I am so impressed.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I don't know how appropriate this is to mention at this time, but three weeks ago I met Kevin on Antero.

I noticed he mentions it in his trip report:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We had a nice chat and he was nice fellow. I asked if I could borrow his map since I didn't have one (long story) and we discussed the mountain and other things before departing.

Anyway, the reason I mention this is because even though I wasn't climbing with Kevin, I did take some photos of him descending the mountain (since I can't takle photos of myself glissading). I wonder if some of his friends/family might be interesting is seeing/having the photos. :?:
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.