Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Post by greenwok »

Travis, while it appears your grandfather has graciously offered to purchase the plaque, I still like the idea of the fund and would be in favor of your opening it - it can be used to go towards memorial service expenses, 14ers.com, or even helping a student perhaps even from LHS go on to college in Kevin's memory and honor. If you do, count me in. Additionally, the thought comes to mind of a dri-fit hiking shirt we can wear on 14ers in Kevin's honor esp during the list of summits you and Kevin have - it could contain that La Plata Summit Cross photo Kevin took, along with the Proverbs 3:5-6 verse he had in his signature, as well as 14ers.com. Peace.
travis19877 wrote:Thank you for the continuing thoughts and prayers.

I have contacted 14er username Kansas who runs a sign company. He says he can get a plaque for me and that it can be pricy. As Britt mentioned, I don't have the funding for something like this. So, my thought is to open up a paypal account in which 100% of donations will go to Kevin's plaque, and anything left over to his family. If someone has a better idea or any suggestions, dont hesitate to ask for my contact information and I will be happy to contact you.

Travis
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Anyone have any idea what the plaques for Challenger and/or Columbia Point cost? I think it would be a great idea to do a plaque and set-up a donation account. I also wonder if there is any "red tape" with the forest service we would need to worry about before hand.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

mattpayne11 wrote:Anyone have any idea what the plaques for Challenger and/or Columbia Point cost? I think it would be a great idea to do a plaque and set-up a donation account. I also wonder if there is any "red tape" with the forest service we would need to worry about before hand.
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 80#p299901
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

tenpins wrote:we packaged kevin last night, and with the help of many dedicated mountain rescue volunteers, moved him into little bear valley today, past the stranded chinook that is like some weird kind of dinosaur, and loaded him into a CO Army National Guard UH-60L. He is on his way home now.
Tenpins -- thank you and all SAR teams in Colorado for the work that you do.
barbiesue53
14ers: 11 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (4)

Post by barbiesue53 »

Ecclesiastes 3: 1,2,4 "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,...a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance." I pray for God's grace and healing for all family and friends.
cfoye130
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by cfoye130 »

My thoughts and prayers are with Kevin's family and with the 14er community as a whole. I never had a chance to hike with Kevin, and it seems that I truely missed out. He sounds like a great person, and will be a welcomed addition to God's Kingdom .
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

"We see your smile in each new morning sun,

Your laughter flows from the rushing stream,

The sound of your foot steps follows us
On a mountain path in the rustling of the leaves,

In the quiet of softly falling snow, we are warmed
By happy memories of you.

Memories are forever."
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Very sad.
In time, the pain and sorrow will fade away.
What will be left is the love and strength of your friend that will forever live in your heart.
My tears and prayers continue.
Pat
jniehof
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jniehof »

greenwok wrote:even helping a student perhaps even from LHS go on to college in Kevin's memory and honor
I would be happy to contribute either to a scholarship in Kevin's honor or a donation to SAR in his name.
Snowgirl
14ers: 15  7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Snowgirl »

I had the privilege of meeting Kevin on a hike of Princeton last spring, and I am incredibly saddened to hear of his passing. My thoughts go to his family and friends, and as always I am grateful that CO has SAR teams that are willing to go in the worst of conditions to try and help a stranger.
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

:cry: :cry: :cry: I have been out of town, and had no idea this had happened. I can't stop crying ... though I never met him, I too, feel that we are a community here bound together by a love of the mountains, and of sharing that appreciation with others. I am so thankful that Kevin knew the Lord our savior. That does bring much solace to a sad situation. I pray for Kevin's family and his friends ... I pray for those close to him that will have a void where he would have been. Kevin sounds like such a special young man that touched many people ... God works like that through people when we let Him ... I am glad that Kevin was such a good steward for Him. :cry: :cry: :cry:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

travis19877 wrote:Thank you for the continuing thoughts and prayers.

I have contacted 14er username Kansas who runs a sign company. He says he can get a plaque for me and that it can be pricy. As Britt mentioned, I don't have the funding for something like this. So, my thought is to open up a paypal account in which 100% of donations will go to Kevin's plaque, and anything left over to his family. If someone has a better idea or any suggestions, dont hesitate to ask for my contact information and I will be happy to contact you.

Travis
Travis,

We are currently looking into options for creating a memorial account at a local bank that can be linked to Paypal for donations. It's not tough to do. I emailed Britt last night about this exact idea, with any money above and beyond the cost for a memorial going back to his family or being donated to the SAR. Please let us know if his family has any issues with this occurring.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus