Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Re: Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Postby LoneStar » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 am

All Saints Day? I'm not in position to know if David was a "saint" or not. But he is a cherished and departed soul, and that's good enough for me.

I do know this: I fall into the "though I never met him" category, yet felt moved to scribble a TM on the summit register when topping out on Humboldt back in June. It is a sacred place - perhaps for many reasons - but most assuredly for his presence there.

For all the saints ...
"Happy trails to you ..." - Roy Rogers

Postby Mel McKinney » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 am

Funny this thread has come up now. I ordered some more TalusMonkey stickers recently for my brewery mugs. I was telling friends about TM just last night at the brewery. I hope more people ask me about my sticker. :)

I miss that free-spirit and good will on the forum.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby M_Sandoval52 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:40 am

Too sad!

Postby M_Sandoval52 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:45 am

I hiked to the old trailhead next to Humboldt. I could not help thinking that this was the last 14er he hiked. I am vary moved!

Postby JimR » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:28 am

Like many others here, I never met him, but yes, I remember him. The forum, and the world in general, is a duller place without him. His Captain Morgan pose on Sunlight is one of the all-time favorite mountain photos that I've seen.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Postby Kruck » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:57 am

The silhouette on the sleeve of my bike jersey still gets comments and questions. So basically every time I ride longer distances to far-flung bars and back, I remember, if not more often.
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper

Postby Summit Stomper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:46 pm

Climbed Humbolt last year on August 22nd. It was a sobering hike. Took a memorial pic in his honor. Don't see it in the link. Will have to check. I wish I would have met him in person. I did get a lot of laughs and amusement from his posts. May Talus Monkey's memory live on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teeth to the wind!

Postby gothiclove » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:37 am

I saw someone dressed like him on Halloween. That pimp outfit with big hat, and $ sign necklace. At first I was offended. How could you!? Then I thought about keeping his memory alive and that maybe he would be flattered that someone copied him. I did not know him but I got a kick out of his posts.

Postby jpfeif001 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:13 am

How do I order TalusMonkey stickers? The link on the memorial page does not seem to work.
The spaces between is where I reside, In the moment is where I live, and my family and friends are who I love.

Postby CODave » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:30 am

If anyone wants TalusMonkey stickers please send me a PM.

Postby Hunter » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:39 pm

I never had the privilege to meet him, but much of my inspiration for multiple peaks in a day coupled with the numerous benefits of starting most of my hikes between midnight and 2AM came from PMs and emails I exchanged with him. "Dare to do what others say can't be done". Long live TalusMonkey.

May we all encourage the inexperienced, ignore the boastful, and have the physical ability, knowledge, and tools to be a first responder for anyone in need on our majestic peaks.

-Hunter
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Postby caveman_ug » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:58 pm

I still very fondly remember my friend david. Picked up a copy of "colorado 14er disasters" and saw the dedication it was like being sucker punched off a barstool. The story was heartrending and gave me even more respect for caroline

PreviousNext