Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Post by Inky6900 »

TalusMonkeys sister wrote:

Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey? He was my big brother, and he died three years ago on Humboldt...
I never met David but I attended his memorial service, watched the video/photo display of his life and spoke with many people that did know him. I have climbed with some of his close friends and let me assure you he is not forgotten. The very few times I've climbed with Caroline (maybe 2 or 3) she was beaming as she spoke of David. In listening to her, it made me feel as if I knew him. Many of his friends recalled the memorable times they had with him (when I spoke with them at his memorial). One friend even admitted he was a bit jealous of David because he wasn't afraid to go against the grain and try for his dreams in life. I remember another friend talking about David trying to capture baby prairie dogs for pets - although he was never able to get one. I remember Caroline's mom was very complimentary of David saying he was a person that genuinely wanted to get to know people and invest time and energy in each person. She said it was something that made him special. For me personally, there are many times I think of him while climbing the peaks with my dog, Sawyer.

David struck me as a guy that lived life to the full and touched many lives. I never met him but perhaps his legacy is the thing for me that lives on so well. His life and passing are constant reminders to me (and I'm sure all of us) to enjoy what is placed before us on each day. I am not ashamed to say I have even thought about why did David pass when I am still here? I have climbed with my dog for 10 years now. I am sure many of us climbers on this site have thought that. All I can say is I am very sorry he is gone and I wished I could've met him and climbed with him. And I wonder what he would've thought of me as a person, and my dog, Sawyer, that climbs with me.

Even though I never met David, all of this is how I remember him. All of this is what I think about when I reflect on a man I unfortunately never was able to meet.

Josh Aho
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

Holly:
David & Caroline were going to fly out to Nevada and climb with my wife and I the next weekend. I think of David every time I step on a new summit and I sign summit books "Talus Monkey was here" because I know he's with everyone us here at 14ers.com. He won't be forgotten within this family of hikers and climbers.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
Bodacious
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bodacious »

I think of him just about every day...
"To travel, to experience and learn: that is to live."
- Tenzing Norgay
ontopoftheworld
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ontopoftheworld »

Like many others, I never met David in person, but he still crosses my thoughts from time to time. As I write this, I am wearing my 14ers.com bike jersey sporting his logo on the sleeve. I thought about him a few hours ago when I put it on. By the way, what a great day for a ride! Glad TM could join me.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

I moved out here and got on 14ers after he passed. I enjoy reading his trip reports and for some reason think of him from time to time just from these and his pictures. I wept last year as I read of the account in "Halfway to Heaven. Seems like he would have been a blast to climb with.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

I like this quote--I think it applies to TM:

"Mere longevity is a good thing for those who watch life from the sidelines. For those who play the game, an hour may be a year; a single day's work an achievement for eternity."

Gabriel Heatter
upndown
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by upndown »

Every time I hear 'Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta' - so, about 4-5 times a week.
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I never had the pleasure of meeting David. I do remember that weekend. I was at an event called Mile High Mayhem. We got weathered out. When I got back to the city I heard news about a rescue operation. My heart went out to the people involved.

I wasn’t active on the forum yet, but like many others I was drawn to this site. Over the next few days I read all the posts about David and the SAR operation. Many times while reading I had tears in my eyes. I saw 14ers.com was a community within the mountaineering world.

I grew up in a small town that was a fishing port. When we heard a ship went down our hearts went out to those involved. We all knew and were related to people who went to sea. When the ship was from our town we knew the families. Mountain climbing is that way.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
REMUS
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by REMUS »

I too think about him often. Like many others I never met him, not by a long shot. I didn't even start lurking here until mid-summer 2007, plus I live 1200 miles away. Not long after finding this site, I stumbled across multiple references to TM. The more I read the deeper I dug. The deeper I dug the more sad I became. I give a lot of credit to Caroline for how she handled the whole situation, her courage, her character and how much she shared with all of us. Thank you.

After pouring over all of his trip reports and many past posts I feel like he was a dear friend. It's funny how somebody whom I've never met could have such an impact on me. I absolutely agree with Aubrey, "His death was very sad and tragic, and it affected me deeply."

When I get the chance to come to Colorado to hike the 14'ers, I find solace in knowing that I'm retracing the footsteps of the TalusMonkey.
"Be not the slave of your own past. Plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience that shall explain and overlook the old."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
me,myself,and I
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by me,myself,and I »

Amen, Brother...
The only thing I'll ever regret is things I have not tried. Never regret!
fourseasonhiker
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fourseasonhiker »

Please don't be offended by my ignorance, but what happened to Talusmonkey? I certainly remember him. Who could forget all his comments? I loved reading his posts. But I am not aware of what happened to him. Will someone please fill me in?
FourSeasonHiker
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

All can be learned in the TalusMonkey section of the forum...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs