Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey? He was my big brother, and he died three years ago on Humboldt...
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
CorduroyCalves
14ers: 16 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Post by CorduroyCalves »

I actually think about him from time to time. Can't believe it's been three years already.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

Have a sticker of him on my car's visor ....
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I remember the craziness on this forum that night, and how shocked I was when the news broke that he didn't make it, even though I'd never met him.
This forum was a lot more fun with Talusmonkey! Can't believe it's already been three years either.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
rlw49
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rlw49 »

I feel like i've met him, though i haven't. Every time i sign onto this site, i see the section on your brother and see him in my minds eye. His posts were always humorous and creative. It was a loss for everyone and more so for you and your family. Hope things are well for you.
Ron
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I never met him, but enjoyed his adventures vicariously.
I still have a sticker on my helmet. It went up Chimborazo in Ecuador a few years back, I forgot to get a summit photo but took this one during the descent:
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

TalusMonkeys sister wrote:Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey? He was my big brother, and he died three years ago on Humboldt...
He is not forgotten.
His spirit lives on.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

My husband and I were just discussing him the other day ... his memory and goodness lives on with many of us.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

TalusMonkeys sister

You don't even need to ask!!
Your brother is so much more than well remembered!!
Last edited by bonehead on Mon May 17, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

I think anyone who posted, lurked, visited, or otherwise had exposure to 14'ers.com remembers The Talusmonkey! I also remember wathcing the news stories about the incident before I knew it involved a 14'ers.com member (I really just lurked on the site back then, and didn't get into posting until some time later).

I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but I've met a good number of his friends, and I've heard a lot of stories. His life may have ended on Humboldt, but it is clear that his legacy and legend have lived on in this community.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I will always remember.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

I never got the chance to meet him, but I am well aware of him. I was actually looking through some of his old TR's the other day.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com