Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Aubrey
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (128)

Re: Does anyone still remember Talusmonkey?

Post by Aubrey »

He's definitely not forgotten.

Back when this forum only saw a handful of us "regulars," his posts would always make me laugh. And over time, through the forums and his trip reports, I really felt like I got to know him.

Even though I never had the chance to meet him in person, we exchanged emails and talked about climbing something together soon. Sadly, that was just weeks before he died.

His death was very sad and tragic, and it affected me deeply.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

TalusMonkeys sister wrote:Does anyone still remember TalusMonkey? He was my big brother, and he died three years ago on Humboldt...
Hey Holly! I only hope you know that David will never be forgotten. It's so hard to believe that it's been 3 years already. I went to Humboldt in hopes of a summit ski descent May 7, 2010 (his anniversary date), but physically I wasn't feeling it and turned back. While I was hiking up the road, I saw several places (like where we parked) that I felt I could still see him; feel his presence. As I write this, I'm fighting tears - it's definitely a sensitive time of year. I hope you, Robert, the girls, and Anita are doing well! David's legacy forever lives on, and his torch will always be carried.

PS - I'm also going to move this thread to the "TalusMonkey (David Worthington)" section of the forum because that's where it belongs! :D
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

Much like Aubrey, I never met him in person, but exchanged many emails.
I still have his sticker on the bumper of my jeep.

The other day a young lad at my school asked me..."Mr. Tim, what's a Talus Monkey?"
I told him, "Sit down young one, let me tell you the tale of the Talus Monkey"..................
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
wasclywabbit
14ers: 33  3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by wasclywabbit »

I never met David in person but I always looked forward to reading his posts on the forum. His sense of humor is legendary around these parts and there is no way that he will ever be forgotten by the 14ers.com community.
Ad alta per aspera: To the summit through difficulties.
tenpins
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tenpins »

never met him, never spoke to him. Wasnt even on 14ers before he passed. Wasnt on the team that went on his rescue. But yep, was just talking about him the other day.
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Climbed Culebra with him many years ago, or should I say watched him fly past me. :) I remember he was just really nice to all of us that day. Trust me, his name comes up on this site more than you can imagine. He has not been forgotten.
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

It's hard not to think of him Holly. I thought of you too on the anniversary. I hope you're doing well.
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

He will always be remembered for me as well. We climbed Humbolt last year and the same year we were there too. Also everytime I see Captain Morgan. My thoughts are always with you and Caroline as well.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

A couple of friends and I took a trip up Humboldt on May 1. He was definitely in my thoughts that day! He was a little bit before my time on the forum, but I've read through the memorial section on a couple of occasions. I regret not having crossed paths with him on the trails.
JasonF
13ers: 63 1
Trip Reports (45)

Post by JasonF »

Time will pass however the Talusmoney (or TM as I call him) is forever etched into my memory. Although I never had the opportunity to hike with him before his untimely passing I'm hoping to do so many times when I pass on from this earthly realm. Long live the TM!!!
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going get better. It's not.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
Dr. Seuss
usfgal
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by usfgal »

My husband and I were just talking about him the other day, trying to remember how many years it had been. We soon realized it was 2007 b/c we were on Longs Peak just a few days later. I dropped the bar to my crampon down a steep slope, just beyond the keyhole. My husband went partway down the slope to see if he could find it, and he grabbed his ice axe at the last minute, doing so because he thought of Talus Monkey. He slipped and his ice axe saved him, certainly from severe injuries and possibly worse. Talus Monkey will be remembered in so many ways. I am so sorry for your loss.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Of course, Holly. I am one of many I'm sure who followed his adventures vicariously through here. R.I.P. Brother.