Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Senior Citizens Kicked out of Yellowstone

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Senior Citizens Kicked out of Yellowstone

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:38 am

Copryright law doesn't matter now. The federal government controls the copyright office which is closed. Steal away!

Postby dehrlich101 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:28 pm

TallGrass wrote:Do not post whole articles without author's permission. Best to just post the link to the original source, and a short quote if one must.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

I wonder if this is true as well... Here's a PM sent to me (also CC'd to bill) about the same thing from the forum cop.

The reason I quote the whole thing is because some news stories are deleted of the internet eventually, then we are left with a empty link.

Re: Problem dogs in backcountry?
Sent: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:34 am
To: BillMiddlebrook dehrlich101

Interesting story, but copying and posting the whole thing is a copyright violation -- heat Bill doesn't need.

I'd suggest editing it to just quote one or two key sentences, citing the source, and leaving the link for those who wish to read the rest.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby I fall a lot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Heat?! Peaches?! Gestapo?! Copyright infringement?! Problem dogs?! Forum cops?! TSA harassment?! CC's?! Old people?!

Sounds like a recipe for a riot!

Postby MuchosPixels » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:43 pm

rickinco123 wrote:This has gotten quite absurd. They seem to be employing law enforcement in areas where there would normally not be any under the claim that they cannot afford to provide services without a budget. I understand that these people have their orders but I am surprised how willingly they enforce them. Couldn't they have just let these people take a few pictures and go on their way?

Exactly. The whole shutdown is complete bulcrap in regards to national parks geezus. It's gotten out of hand. I understand if they close all facilities and close some of the road access since those need to be operated and maintained. I also understand if they control the roads so they do not become an impromptu parking lot due to the closures. But this is just ridiculous.

Postby TallGrass » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:30 pm

dehrlich101 wrote:I wonder if this is true as well...
Shoe on other foot, wasn't there a thread about another site copying 14ers.com stuff? :-k If you're going to argue it's fine to copy a whole article (especially one with an explicit © in the bottom corner) to X site, you'll have to argue against, "You may not copy or display 14ers.com content on any other website..." as shown on this one: http://14ers.com/phpBB3/ucp.php?mode=terms

And my sympathies are with the seniors and other vacationers, whose trips took a down turn through no fault of their own. Can't be fun for rangers either though it'd be interesting to read just what exactly their superiors told them they had to do (FOIA).
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby djkest » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm sure the foreign tourists who came halfwalf across the world to visit Yellowstone will be much less likely to visit again after the way they were treated, and they will probably tell their friends too.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby jblyth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:31 pm

djkest wrote:I'm sure the foreign tourists who came halfwalf across the world to visit Yellowstone will be much less likely to visit again after the way they were treated, and they will probably tell their friends too.

For sure. I would be pretty upset if I planned a trip to a place like the Pyramids, Angkor Wat or Great Wall just have it shut down. All the planning, time and money that goes into an international trip, just to have the gates closed when you get here. I've been in the Sierras the last few days and met plenty of foreign tourists whose National Parks road trips were ruined. I felt terrible for them.

Postby jsdratm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:40 pm

The best way to solve this would be to pass an amendment saying that if congress can't agree on a budget, they are all fired and a new election is triggered. I'm sure you would see people a lot more motivated to work together if that were the case. That is the way things are done in a lot of other democracies and it seems pretty effective.

In any case, Gallup released a poll showing that the approval rating for the GOP is at a historic low (even lower than when they tried to impeach Clinton), so I think we will see some action soon.

Postby TallGrass » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:19 pm

jsdratm wrote:In any case, Gallup released a poll showing that ...
Just spin doctors at work. Let the party who hasn't approved spending money it doesn't have cast the first stone.

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:39 pm

The way I read the Constitution, the House of Representatives is the only body who has the authority to introduce a spending bill and for 5 years they have been introduced. I think the blame is very solidly in the Democratic corner on this one. Anyone who would rather risk defunding our national defense than accept defeat on a single bill is just showing how much they care for the country. The fact they are closing public land and spending extra money doing it proves that point. They have even gone so far as to have water spigots removed from public areas to avoid the public using them. An amendment to fire anyone who hasn't passed a budget wouldn't make the GOP have to work with anyone else. They are in control in the house right now and it is the responsibility of the Senate and President to work with them.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Citations-Issued-at-Grand-Canyon.html
Curious what they put as the "appearance date" on the fed' citation if the courts are closed due to the shutdown. :-k

PreviousNext