Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Senior Citizens Kicked out of Yellowstone

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Senior Citizens Kicked out of Yellowstone

Postby I fall a lot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:04 am

They should be more careful, senior citizens bruise like peaches.

Postby djkest » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:11 am

“She responded and said, ‘Sir, you are recreating,’ and her tone became very aggressive,” Vaillancourt said.

Ridiculous. Are you sure this isn't from the onion?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby geojed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:25 am

It's 100% true. Here is another article done by the Livingston, MT news.

http://www.livingstonenterprise.com/content/visitors-and-employees-impacted-ynp-closure
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 am

I noticed the TSA still had time to harrass citizens when I came back into the country last Friday. Makes me proud that in dozens of shutdowns, this is the only one where our leaders have kicked veterans out of their own memorials or citizens out of land they own. How about a shutdown of the IRS collecting our taxes?

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:16 am

djkest wrote:Are you sure this isn't from the onion?

The Onion story would feature a former Gestapo officer complaining about being compared to these actions. Oh my gosh, they had to use the restroom on their bus? They couldn't get out to take pictures of bison? Call the UN!
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby rickinco123 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 am

This has gotten quite absurd. They seem to be employing law enforcement in areas where there would normally not be any under the claim that they cannot afford to provide services without a budget. I understand that these people have their orders but I am surprised how willingly they enforce them. Couldn't they have just let these people take a few pictures and go on their way?

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:30 am

rickinco123 wrote:This has gotten quite absurd. They seem to be employing law enforcement in areas where there would normally not be any under the claim that they cannot afford to provide services without a budget. I understand that these people have their orders but I am surprised how willingly they enforce them. Couldn't they have just let these people take a few pictures and go on their way?

That's the whole point, they want it to upset people in an attempt to pit the public against a certain political party. Its the reason they gated off the WWII memorial, its the reason they are hassling old people taking pictures of bison...etc, etc. Its political theater.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:36 am

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:That's the whole point, they want it to upset people in an attempt to pit the public against a certain political party. Its the reason they gated off the WWII memorial, its the reason they are hassling old people taking pictures of bison...etc, etc. Its political theater.

Both sides are playing political theater. That's the whole reason news articles with ridiculous words like 'gestapo' in the title get passed around to the national media and talk shows. Playing up people hassling old people and children makes people angry. Forget the fact that I bet the real story of what happened in Yellowstone is far less extreme than how it was portrayed in that article.

I don't agree with gating off open air memorials either. It was a dumb decision. Politicians showing up to make a scene because of the closure is also absurd.

Postby Dex » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:39 am

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:
rickinco123 wrote:This has gotten quite absurd. They seem to be employing law enforcement in areas where there would normally not be any under the claim that they cannot afford to provide services without a budget. I understand that these people have their orders but I am surprised how willingly they enforce them. Couldn't they have just let these people take a few pictures and go on their way?

That's the whole point, they want it to upset people in an attempt to pit the public against a certain political party. Its the reason they gated off the WWII memorial, its the reason they are hassling old people taking pictures of bison...etc, etc. Its political theater.

Agree. And, I don't think it changes many if any minds. Ds think it is the Rs fault and Rs think it is the Ds fault.

What it does point out is the politicization of the system - the recent IRS scandal is another example.

The gov't was 'shut down' before. But, you really didn't notice it because the people tried to limit the affect on the public. I was around for them and I don't even remember anything that affected the public.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._government_shutdowns#List_of_U.S._government_shutdowns
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby TallGrass » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:42 am

Do not post whole articles without author's permission. Best to just post the link to the original source, and a short quote if one must.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Cruiser » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:13 am

^^^ Never heard that rule before. It's not like he attempted to obscure the source or anything, it's right there at the start of the post.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Next