Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Groups Fighting Fees

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Groups Fighting Fees

Postby coloradokevin » Fri May 14, 2010 11:27 pm

There are currently at least three threads running on this site that are focused around the USFS proposal to start adding fees for trail access at S. Colony Lakes. For those of us who are opposed to fees, I thought it might be a good time to ask who the major players are in lobbying against these forms of additional taxation?

I know that the Western Slope No Fee Coalition has been active in many of these issues:

http://westernslopenofee.org/index2.php

Are there any other groups who are fighting for this cause? Maybe it is time to start throwing some of our money towards these groups, which might thereby give us some power in numbers!

Re: Groups Fighting Fees

Postby coloradokevin » Sun May 16, 2010 12:03 pm

So, should I take the lack of response to mean that the WSNFC is the only group of its kind in this area?

Postby D8S » Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Thanks to the efforts of the late Robert Funkhouser, the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition is probably the most effective fee fighting groups out there, with nationwide contacts and the ear of Washington. But that shouldn't belittle the work of Scott Silver www.WildWilderness.org, who was the first to bring the whole issue to public attention. There is also an Arizona No-Fee Coalition, a group called "Keep the Sespe Wild" is active in southern California, and I know of a group in Idaho as well. All told, there are over 200 groups that oppose fees, although the above are by far the most active.

To my knowledge, none of the members of any of the groups set out to be politically active. The ones I've spoken with have learned as they went. What they've accomplished is truly amazing.

The effort is true grassroots. For the record, 100% of your contribution to the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition goes to protecting access to public lands for future generations. In reality, it gets doubled or tripled by the time it hits the ground.

Dave

Postby coloradokevin » Tue May 18, 2010 12:00 am

D8S wrote:Thanks to the efforts of the late Robert Funkhouser, the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition is probably the most effective fee fighting groups out there, with nationwide contacts and the ear of Washington. But that shouldn't belittle the work of Scott Silver www.WildWilderness.org, who was the first to bring the whole issue to public attention. There is also an Arizona No-Fee Coalition, a group called "Keep the Sespe Wild" is active in southern California, and I know of a group in Idaho as well. All told, there are over 200 groups that oppose fees, although the above are by far the most active.

To my knowledge, none of the members of any of the groups set out to be politically active. The ones I've spoken with have learned as they went. What they've accomplished is truly amazing.

The effort is true grassroots. For the record, 100% of your contribution to the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition goes to protecting access to public lands for future generations. In reality, it gets doubled or tripled by the time it hits the ground.

Dave

Thanks for the helpful information, Dave!

Postby KBenzar » Wed May 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Following is an article from the latest issue of the Western Slope No Fee Coalition's email newsletter. Getting the Fee Repeal bill to a hearing so that all aspects of this issue can be aired in public is the essential next step. Messages to the Senate Committee as described below are easy to send and very effective.
Thanks for helping,
Kitty Benzar, President (volunteer) Western Slope No Fee Coalition

FOUR SENATORS CALL FOR HEARING ON FEE REPEAL BILL - BUT THEY NEED YOUR HELP!
The Fee Repeal and Expanded Access Act, Senate Bill S.868, has been awaiting a hearing in the Senate Energy and Natural Resources (ENR) Committee for more than a year.
S.868 would allow entrance fees to continue in National Parks but would stop them on National Forests and Bureau of Land Management lands. All agencies could still charge for developed facilities such as campgrounds and cabin rentals.
Read more about the specific effects of the bill and the bill text at http://westernslopenofee.org/index2.php?display=yes&pageid=19.
S.868 cannot move forward until it undergoes a hearing in the ENR Committee.
So far Chairman Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) and Ranking Member Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) have not put it on their schedule.
The four powerful co-sponsors of the bill are running out of patience. Montana Senators Max Baucus and Jon Tester and Idaho Senators Mike Crapo and Jim Risch recently all signed a letter to Chairman Bingaman asking him to put bring the bill to a hearing. You can read the letter at http://www.westernslopenofee.org/pdfuploads/Four_Senators_S868_Hearing_Request_Letter.pdf.
No response has yet been forthcoming. As this session of Congress nears an end it's imperative that Congress act soon for this bill to become enacted.

YOU CAN HELP: HOW TO TAKE ACTION
The ENR Committee leadership needs to hear from as many people as possible that public lands access fees are an important issue that needs to be addressed now.

Send a brief message to Chairman Bingaman and Ranking Member Murkowski by clicking here to fill out the Committee's
webform: http://energy.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.Home

Important: Put "S.868 Fee Repeal Bill" in the subject line. The "Send to" field should be Full Committee (the default).

Here is a suggested message. Please revise this into your own words and add your personal concerns:

Dear Chairman Bingaman and Ranking Member Murkowski,
The fees that Americans are being charged for general access to our National Forests and BLM lands are an outrage. I urge you to hold a hearing on S.868 The Fee Repeal and Expanded Access Act and vote to send it to the full Senate for approval.
[your name and mailing address]

This Committee has total control over whether the Fee Repeal bill moves forward. They need to hear from a broad range of citizens about how important public lands are to you!
It will only take a moment to send a brief message - please do it right away!