Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Forest Service 14er Fee

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Forrest Service 14er Fee

Postby lordhelmut » Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 am

They should do something like this at Longs. Why do they have a toll portal @ Wild Basin off rt.7 and not Longs? I'd happily pay as high as 20$ to climb that mountain for day purposes, for trail maintenance and to lessen the crowds, or whatever else. I can just envision all these people getting there at 1am, only to turn around all disgruntled cause they didn't know there was a fee.

And I stil don't understand why people get so butt hurt to the point where anti-fee coalitions in SW Colorado are fighting a 10$ fee at Evans, whether its just or not. How many mountains are there in Colorado? The accesibilty of the high peaks in Colorado is unmatched compared to any other place in the Lower 48, that is the appeal. Its kind of like skiing in Utah and hearing people complain that they didn't get 600 inches of snow this year! Bottom line, find something else to climb.

If people don't want to pay 10 or 20$ to check out South Colony, pack in from Willow Lake or Spanish Creek and climb those peaks from the Bears Playground. God forbid you have a sense of adventure, when did climbing 14ers entail driving a high clearance 4wd vehicle as close as humanly possible to the summit?

p.s. Kevin, this wasn't directed at you, just the royal "you" of the article or anyone that thinks this is unfair.
Last edited by lordhelmut on Thu May 13, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bean » Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 am

WSNFC fights the fees because it's public land, and the USFS has no right to take fees for minimally-improved facilities, and with the case of Mt Evans, to charge a toll for a road that they have nothing to do with maintaining.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby BaronVonBergschrund » Thu May 13, 2010 9:32 am

You rang?

HE MEANT ME, YOU IDIOT!!
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners

Postby dpage » Thu May 13, 2010 9:34 am

As far as Longs goes, I buy a RMNP or a national parks pass each year. Station somebody there if you want to like the other parts of RMNP. I have a hard time wanting to pay for National Forest access since my use on all of our national forest is so much less than the logging industries.

Postby JE242 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:03 am

Bean wrote:WSNFC fights the fees because it's public land, and the USFS has no right to take fees for minimally-improved facilities, and with the case of Mt Evans, to charge a toll for a road that they have nothing to do with maintaining.

I
Last edited by JE242 on Mon May 17, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby bif » Thu May 13, 2010 10:28 am

I would not mind a fee if it provided rescue insurance. I pay for the cosar card. But also in Washington D.C. the Smithsonian has free admission because it is "owned" by the people and paid for with our tax dollars. That said, I would hate to see vendors and souverir shops on all the mountains like in the Smithsonian and on Pikes
bif

Postby Fiemus » Thu May 13, 2010 10:34 am

bif wrote:I would not mind a fee if it provided rescue insurance. I pay for the cosar card.

Why do you need rescue insurance ? There's no charge for rescue in Colorado (and your COSAR card isn't providing you with any insurance).

Postby Bean » Thu May 13, 2010 10:35 am

JE242 wrote:
Bean wrote:WSNFC fights the fees because it's public land, and the USFS has no right to take fees for minimally-improved facilities, and with the case of Mt Evans, to charge a toll for a road that they have nothing to do with maintaining.

I do understand not wanting to pay fees for Forest Servie trail. And I see why that the legality is being questioned. However, the staffing on Mount Evans has saved numerous lives and have helped many unprepared, hypothermic, AMS suffering hikers in flip-flops, fresh from the sawtooth @ 2:00 in the afternoon. They also boat the cleanest bathrooms, and knowledegable rangers trying their best to preserve a sensative ecosystem from hundreds of visitors a day. IMO, worth the $10. (or the $25 that gets you in all summer).

I do think when you go over $10, it's a little harder to accept, especially at a trailhead.

Fantastic. The fact remains that the USFS is charging a toll for a road they do not own or maintain. They have no right to do so; this specific issue has been beaten to death so I will not discuss it further so as to prevent the thread from losing the forest for the trees.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu May 13, 2010 10:40 am

JE242 wrote:

I do understand not wanting to pay fees for Forest Servie trail. And I see why that the legality is being questioned. However, the staffing on Mount Evans has saved numerous lives and have helped many unprepared, hypothermic, AMS suffering hikers in flip-flops, fresh from the sawtooth @ 2:00 in the afternoon. They also boat the cleanest bathrooms, and knowledegable rangers trying their best to preserve a sensative ecosystem from hundreds of visitors a day. IMO, worth the $10. (or the $25 that gets you in all summer).

I do think when you go over $10, it's a little harder to accept, especially at a trailhead.

JE242,
I expect you work for the FS, but that's just an assumption. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not the responsiblity of Mt. Evans USFS staff to save tourists from while walking around at high elevations. Aside from that issue, it's clear that empire-building has gone on there... Increase staff, buildings and "fee" enforcement to make more money... more money, increase staff... and so on. It's obvious just in the last 15 years I've been going up there. Plus, the revenues from the road are not 100% for the road "facilities." Again, I may be wrong on that but I doubt it. The USFS doesn't need to build buildings on Mt. Evans and have a huge staff. "Hey, we have such a sensitive and special ecosystem, let's plop a large building on the side of Mt. Goliath!" Unbelievable.

We don't need that type of fiasco down in the SC Lakes area. I hope Mike Smith and the district ranger are reading this stuff. Probably not since I don't think public input will matter on this decision. The input is a formality but is unlikely to stop this from happening (of course we should all still fill their ears and inboxes with our input!).
Mike, we'd love to hear from you!
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Rich H » Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 am

I'm all for it - if the money is used to help that area which they say it will be. That might be a big if.

With the population boom that is going on more should be done to protect the mountains and if it means paying a small fee then I will.

Otherwise we just sit back and watch S Colony Lakes turn to into a Front Range TH
"If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."

Postby Bean » Thu May 13, 2010 11:03 am

Rich H wrote:Otherwise we just sit back and watch S Colony Lakes turn to into a Front Range TH

Yes, it would be horrible if it were popular and mostly orderly. Terrible!

Postby rjsfun » Thu May 13, 2010 11:21 am

Evans has become EXTREMELY busy with the increase of tourism and out-of-state residents. No one can argue that the mountains are becoming WAY more used and absused. There are numerous areas I used to frequent as a kid that are now local dumps, shooting ranges, party spots, some now closed, etc... Everything but the pristine clean wilderness I remember.
Last edited by rjsfun on Mon May 17, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next