Forum rules
This forum is read-only
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: JK's 2016 Ski Project

Post by justiner »

I'm kinda amused at the idea that this is becoming basically JK's virtual Yelp page.

I also remember the, "how to become a professional climber" thread for earlier in the Winter. This thread could highlight a lot of pitfalls regarding managing your public persona. I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard of any goodwill/charity/fundraising acts JK's done during any of his mountaineering - that seems to be one of the Things You (Could) Do When You Do Things On a Sponsor's Dime.

Finally, I'm exceptionally amused at how much someone like Mark Twight/Steve House/etc would care less about any of this, which should probably make us think that we should care less too. Jon's right in a big sense: even though we're bagging on him, it's giving him exposure, and that helps in the long run. Now he can market his project as, "controversial" or whatever.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Hey, in the honesty of it all, we all check out this forum & webpage to try and stay in tune with what's going on with the community. A community that thrives off of the activity that goes on inside it.

Jon Kedrowski, whether you like him or hate him, is a personality in this community, setting out to do something that realistically few in this community would even dare to do. Aside from our daily grind lives, he becomes a focus because he's associated with a hobby we are all very (or remotely) fond of. We're giving him attention because of that association.

There's been a lot of hate over the last few pages, but what is it all worth in the end? Are we all trying to stop him from accomplishing his goal? Trying to tear down the accomplishments that I again repeat, few will ever dare to accomplish?

Just let him do his thing and let him have his place in the annals of Colorado's mountain history.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Monster5 wrote:I'm amused by the Wiki edit war ... quite obvious who "chrisjones25" is.
How about NorthBySouthBaranof changing "camp and spent the night" to "became the first person to summit, camp and spend the night"? Or regarding Everest, changing "later hearing it to be" to "witnessing and surviving"? Or deleting the part where "he saw nothing but later found..."? Then adds in some football trophy stuff after deleting ALL criticism. :-k
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

XterraRob wrote: There's been a lot of hate over the last few pages, but what is it all worth in the end? Are we all trying to stop him from accomplishing his goal? Trying to tear down the accomplishments that I again repeat, few will ever dare to accomplish?
Some feel there are mountaineering ethics that aren't being adhered, or that the degree of (perceived) self-promotion does have a negative impact, overall, on a sport they love. It may make it more difficult for worthy other folks to achieve sponsorship and positive attention. And stories of avoidable recklessness, without humble reflection and lessons learned, are not of value in a realm where there certainly is a receptive audience for hard-fought lessons.

Others (like myself) feel that attitude and integrity trumps bucket-list achievements. This has become more readily apparent to me as a father: my son had better not write his own Wiki page, and I hope his stories are of helping those in need, told by others. My pride and support are towards the means, not the ends.

These points alone aren't worth continued pages of commenting perhaps...

But to ground ourselves: this thread started with actions that appear to be dangerous to himself, and possibly others.
XterraRob wrote: Just let him do his thing and let him have his place in the annals of Colorado's mountain history.
There is no guarantee to 'have his place in the annals of Colorado's mountain history.' Doing 'his thing' could be destructive. I fear that this thread, and the mindset that leads to the criticism in the first place, makes him believe (by his response) that "proving everyone wrong" is the solution. It is -- but to the degree of proving everyone wrong by being reasonably cautious, humble, and respectful.
Like BillM and justiner in their first comments, I wish mostly for safety in his quest.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

gb wrote:While 53 has become the popular number on this website, 54 remains the number of 14ers for both the CMC and USGS, and has been the standard list for ski mountaineers starting with Lou (you can find his ski descents on his website, there is no mention of Challenger). Feel free to take myself, and quite a few others off the list for not skiing Challenger.
In his resume he specifically mentions skiing Challenger in Spring 1989.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Beas
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beas »

I just wasted three minutes reading his Wikipedia page. I love how he casually mentions that he's buddies with meteorologist Chris Tomer. Even in his Everest summit pic, his eyes beg for your admiration. Social media gives narcissists a medium to tell the world how awesome they are.

Zack Beasley
Minesweeper Champion
Mountains are cool.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

XterraRob wrote:Are we all trying to stop him from accomplishing his goal?
This post is objectionable because I think the opposite is true: despite all the criticism, nobody in this thread actually wished him failure on his goal.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

I haven't looked on his 14ers project page - has he done any "difficult" summit or decent yet?
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

I always marvel at how mountaineering (in this specific case, ski mountaineering) attracts so many big egos and, consequently, armchair character assassins. It's unlike most other sports (alpine skiing, rock climbing, sailing) I engage in, sports that seem to have much chiller adherents (on average)

It seems disputes like these have been entrenched since the birth of mountaineering, and it's too bad––wouldn't it be great if we all engaged in the sport simply for the love of climbing/hiking/mountaineering and left our egos at the front door?

I'm not saying criticism is justified or unjustified in this case, I can just think of so many more positive aspects of 14ers could be discussed, rather than this one individual's quest.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Haha yes there's never been disputes or egos in the rock climbing community. Come on.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

benlen wrote:I always marvel at how mountaineering (in this specific case, ski mountaineering) attracts so many big egos and, consequently, armchair character assassins. It's unlike most other sports (alpine skiing, rock climbing, sailing) I engage in, sports that seem to have much chiller adherents (on average)
You don't hang out at MountainProject much, do you? Compare to MP, 14ers.com is a circle of people holding hands, singing camp songs, and sharing mugs of hot chocolate.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
joe-g
14ers: 58 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joe-g »

Why is there so much ill will toward this guy. I WISH I was doing some of these things that he is doing. Just because he seems reckless to you, you second guess his accomplishments? I don't know him or any of you, but I think you're jealous. Maybe he self promotes too much for your taste, whoop de doo, then don't hire him.

My accomplishments:
~Climbed all 58 14ers
~6'2" Tall
~married a hottie