Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Avy-1 Refresher, Jan 31 $115

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Avy-1 Refresher, Jan 31 $115

Postby Dave B » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:03 am

Howdy - I've been in contact with Eli Helmuth at Climbing Life Guides in Estes Park to set up a one-day Avy-1 refresher course on Friday January 31st. I'm hoping to skip most of the theoretical and companion-rescue aspects of Avy-1 and instead spend a day in the park analyzing terrain, making decisions and having a couple of good ski runs. Previous Avy-1 isn't necessarily a requirement, but working knowledge of beacon rescue and general snowpack theory is.

Eli's an awesome guide and incredibly knowledgeable. I took a steep ski clinic with him last year and felt it was money well spent.

Anyways, I already have two people committed but need 1-2 more people to secure the discounted rate of $115/person for a full-day.

Please post here or PM me if you'd be interested in joining us or have any questions.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Re: Avy-1 Refresher, Jan 31 $115

Postby MonGoose » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm interested. When do you need a solid confirmation by?

Postby Dave B » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:33 pm

MonGoose wrote:I'm interested. When do you need a solid confirmation by?

Awesome! Sooner is definitely better, but there isn't any set date for confirmation.

One of the group members made payment today and I'm going to make payment later this week which will pretty much lock in the rate and date. However, the group number is capped at 5. Right now we have three definite's and one more who I'm 90% certain is coming which means we have one spot left.

Postby CDecker40 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Sounds cool. Are we splitboarders welcome?

What's the status of that 3rd member? Myself and a buddy might be interested. We took our Avy-1 with CMS last season.

Postby Dave B » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:07 pm

CDecker - sorry I missed your post, PM sent!

Also bumping this back up. We can have up to 6 people for this class now and have at least two spots open as of now. Let me know if you're interested.

Postby nkan02 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:22 pm

I just took my Avy 1 refresher course with Crested Butte Mountain Guides. It was only $105, no silly quotas or caps :mrgreen: (of course a bit longer drive), but so worth it - we got to ski some amazing Crested Butte backcountry after a big storm last week (I am not allowed to say where though - :lol: ). Snow conditions there are way better than what I've been seeing in the Front Range. Highly recommended.

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Bump