Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

St. Mary's conditions?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: St. Mary's conditions?

Postby Jordan D » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:07 pm

How is James? Would I need to bring Avy gear? I want to take my flatlander girlfriend up her first mountain

Postby GregMiller » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:26 pm

I am not an avy expert, and I haven't had eyes on James peak this season, but I'd say you should be all right without avy gear. If you follow the 'trail' up around to the right side to get up to the gully, you stay off of any relatively steep snow. Beyond that, the only 'avy' slopes that you'd be under are the ones on the sides of the gulley, and they're currently rocks with snow in/around them, nothing that will avalanche. James Peak itself looks to be all <30°, so as long as you stay on its SE face you should be all right:

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=39.83989,-105.66837&z=14&b=t&o=f,r&n=1,0.25&a=sf

My one caution would be that I haven't been up there when it isn't windy, and it's a long way across the flats from the top of the glacier to James peak, and be ready for it to be miserable.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Jordan D » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:26 pm

I am an avy expert and have skied James solo many times years ago, but I can't remember how steep the initial pitch past the flat is. My worry is that that part is hardslab on facets, I guess my real question is how deep is the snow up there?

Postby powhound » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Jordan D wrote:I can't remember how steep the initial pitch past the flat is.

I hiked James Pk last year in early November. I was measuring slope angle as I went up after the flats. It was gradually increasing and when it started getting close to 30 degrees, I moved over to the side, where there were rocks, as it appeared it was slightly steeper up ahead. When I got across from this last section, I took this pic of my final measurement at what appeared to be the steepest area on the whole slope and it confirmed what I thought. It read just under 34 degrees.
James Pk..JPG
James Pk..JPG (101.47 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Previous