Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Couloirs of Crested Butte

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Couloirs of Crested Butte

Postby patrickdonahue » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 pm

so over the past weekend a friend and i ventured over to CB to ski some short approach couloirs. we parked at the Skylands golf course and took the hiking trail at the end of the road up and south along the cliff band. we made it to our destination "town shoot" (of what bata we gathered from a few day before from friends.

seen just as you exit the aspen grove to the base of the coulior
photo(3).jpg
photo(3).jpg (205.72 KiB) Viewed 482 times

from here we strapped our skis to our pack and started a short 100 yard bushwack to the base. the snow was just starting to soften up just around 1:00pm as he started our ascent. about 20 minuted in we made it halfway up the choke point and had to stop because we rain into waterfall ice that ran for roughly 50 yards and because we didnt do much research we where unprepared and didnt have axes or crampons.
photo(2).jpg
our turn around
photo(2).jpg (169.66 KiB) Viewed 482 times

all in all it was a great afternoon adventure with wonderful snow and about 200-250 yards of technical skiing to a nice mellow ski out through an aspen grove.

We still have some in mind to tick off in the surrounding area and ill post them here as i complete them

Re: Couloirs of Crested Butte

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Couloir climbing with no axe or crampons??? Does not compute. ](*,)

Not to mention the spelling and grammar situation. Glad you had a good day out either way :-D

Re: Couloirs of Crested Butte

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:48 pm

AndYouSeeMe wrote:Couloir climbing with no axe or crampons??? Does not compute. ](*,)

Not to mention the spelling and grammar situation. Glad you had a good day out either way :-D

I hate to "Pile On" but the photo shows a helmet on the pack. Over the winter water gets into the cracks, freezes, expands and breaks rock away from its
source. Ice melts and rock falls. I strongly suggest wearing a helmet during a Couloir climb.

Thanks for the beta, be safe and have fun