Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

a-basin east wall

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

a-basin east wall

Postby dubsho3000 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:00 am

Does anyone think A-Basin might open the East Wall (above the traverse) this weekend? Is it even close? When was the last time it was open?

Re: a-basin east wall

Postby dubsho3000 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 am

Heh - ask and ye shall receive. Sweet!

Postby Hungry Jack » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:14 pm

On a related note--I am curious. Has anyone ever traversed Black Mountain between Grizzly and the top of A-Basin? That ridge looks nasty.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Hungry Jack wrote:On a related note--I am curious. Has anyone ever traversed Black Mountain between Grizzly and the top of A-Basin? That ridge looks nasty.

Hm. Where's Black Mtn? Close to Lenawee?
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 pm

Between Grizzly and Lenawee. It's the jagged ridge that's viewer's left of the East Wall.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:45 pm

k thats what I figured. Did the full traverse between Griz and top of A-basin (AKA where the skiers get dumped off the lift) in early winter conditions.

Not super heinous but interesting. Bad rock 2nd half the traverse, lots of gendies (cool people talk for gendarmes). Odd thing it was difficult finding beta on the route with snow. Ended up descending the slopes with all the skiers flying by. I would venture to say its been done a lot.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby AlexMack » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:19 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:k thats what I figured. Did the full traverse between Griz and top of A-basin (AKA where the skiers get dumped off the lift) in early winter conditions.

Not super heinous but interesting. Bad rock 2nd half the traverse, lots of gendies (cool people talk for gendarmes). Odd thing it was difficult finding beta on the route with snow. Ended up descending the slopes with all the skiers flying by. I would venture to say its been done a lot.

That sounds pretty fun. I'm curious though, how would that work in the winter in regards to legality issues, access etc. Hiking the East Wall ridge when it's not open sounds like a quick way to get some negative attention from ski patrol. But perhaps it would only matter if you were trying to ski it? What about re-entering the ski area where the normal gate to enter the upper East Wall hike is? Perhaps I'm over-thinking? That sounds like a fun way to spend a day!
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin

Postby Obese_goat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:20 pm

“The mountain has left me feeling renewed, more content and positive than I’ve been for weeks, as if something has been given back after a long absence, as if my eyes have opened once again. For this time at least, I’ve let myself be rooted in the unshakable sanity of the senses, spared my mind the burden of too much thinking, turned myself outward to experience the world and inward to savor the pleasures it has given me.”
― Richard Nelson

"Going to the mountains is going home.”
― John Muir

https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/StevoMagaa

Postby Mountainfreak4465 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:51 pm

don't know if you headed up yet and this is probably a bit late but the upper east wall has been skiing great. I hit narrow north and north on 5/2 and it was probably the best in bounds skiing i've ever done in the month of May.