Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Couloir Season 2013

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Couloir Season 2013

Postby spiderman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:54 am

That was a great trip! Scott, thanks for organizing the mini-Spring gathering. We couldn't have asked for a better day and a better route up a fun mountain.

Postby Carl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:19 am

nkan02 wrote:Quandary - Christo
Horseshoe - Boudoir

Took some shots in route to Sherman yesterday. From the car and with a phone so the quality isn't great, but you can tell Cristo is in, although it looks quite thin up top.

Bross gully looks filled in but I hear the summit area is dry.

Sherman and Sheridan. We were able to skin to the summit of Sherman from the car. Could have kept the skis on the whole way down if you want to side step two rocky sections.

Boudoir looked skiable with two narrow spots. Thought I grabbed a horseshoe pic but apparently not.

Postby big_red_pride » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Looks like a lot of great info is being shared on this thread. I have a small list to couliors I would like to go after this season, so any beta out there would be useful.

Drift Peak - East Coulior or NW Bowl
Lackawanna Peak - Lackawanna Gulch - saw some beta already, looks good
Mt. Hope - Hopeful
Quandary - Cristo - saw the photos...thanks

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 pm

big_red_pride wrote:Drift Peak - East Coulior or NW Bowl

I saw the west side of the 10 mile and some Mosquitos from Jacque Peak on Sat. A bit cloudy, but Drift NW couloir is filling in.
Attachments
drift.jpg
Drift - west side
drift.jpg (97.77 KiB) Viewed 624 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:25 am

San Juans are skiing insanely well right now. Boxcar in good shape, top of couloir thin and narrow, but opens up. The face below Mount Wilson is chalk and powder. Anything around Silverton is skiing ridiculously well. Also, Aetna's Grand Couloir, as stated before, is in and skiing well for 90% of the line. Top is boiler plate, but couple hundred feet down was cream of corn. Bottom around treeline might melt out kind of soon, if it doesn't snow again.

Postby pioletski » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:23 am

Anyone had a look at Long's lately? I'm really curious as to whether there's snow on the Homestretch.
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:29 am

Taken on Saturday before the weather went ape s**t. Sorry not the best source of info but may help a little.

lordhelmut wrote:San Juans are skiing insanely well right now.

Thanks!
Attachments
P1050180.jpg
South face Longy Longs
P1050180.jpg (277.68 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby pioletski » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks Fire! Hope the weather went seriously apesh@t!

@livetothemax96 - Dead Dog looks a bit thin but coverage is probably adequate. Watch out though, CAIC recently posted a pic of a slide just south of DD on the same aspect.
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby colokeith » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:38 am

This is my first season snow climbing.

Would anyone care to speculate on when lost rat (grays) will be in the best shape. I was thinking mid May.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Postby Voodoo302 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Fletch wrote:Also curious about the Meeker/Longs routes up from Chasm...

A friend and I did the Flying Dutchman on Friday 03/29. We had about a foot of powder over firm snow, descending Lambs Slide was the same; I'd guess that most of the north-facing couloirs/routes in the area are pretty similar. We actually really wished we had skis, it would have been deep!

We saw a team on Martha, and Mountain Project chatter indicates it's coming in. The ice pitch on the Dutchman was well covered, although the ice thickness was pretty variable. Definitely in, just not super fat.

Postby dereferenced » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Fletch wrote:
pioletski wrote:Anyone had a look at Long's lately? I'm really curious as to whether there's snow on the Homestretch.

Also curious about the Meeker/Longs routes up from Chasm...

some pictures from sunday. I talked to a couple guys who climbed Martha that day, they said it was soft snow most of the way, then bare rock for a few sections, no ice at all.

Dreamweaver looks like it also has a bare section. Flying dutchman looked pretty good, though.

IMG_2104.JPG
martha
IMG_2104.JPG (242.27 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

IMG_2096.JPG
martha
IMG_2096.JPG (193.67 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

IMG_2063.JPG
dreamweaver
IMG_2063.JPG (215.71 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

Postby SamS » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:22 pm

Hey all, I'm new to this forum. It looks like you guys have a great group of skiers here!

Anyway, does anyone have info on Spire Couloir on Notchtop? That one has recently caught my eye...

I'd also be interested in info on these lines if anyone has recent conditions:
-Dragon's Tail
-San Joaquin Couloir
-The Snake
-Cristo Couloir

Thanks!

PreviousNext