Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Couloir Season 2013

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Couloir Season 2013

Postby Dave B » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 pm

FullertonImages wrote:A little hard to tell in this photo, but is dreamweaver effectively out? Looks pretty dry and iceless, like it would just be a snow slog with intermitent crappy rock steps. Is that correct?

Climbed Dreamweaver today. First three steps are either dry or total mank. 5th step was magnificent hero ice. I got two screw placements and countless sticks that make that sound that sounds like happy.

However, water was running under most ice by 10ish today. What's left won't last long with the current temps.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby tbonesaredelicious » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Does anyone know if the north face of Democrat has continuous snow for a climb and ski?

Postby unclegar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:17 pm

As of 061213 Skywalker is still in great shape. Should be good for a while longer weather permitting.

lower skywalker 061213.dnsz.jpg
lower skywalker 061213.dnsz.jpg (172.05 KiB) Viewed 563 times

upper skywalker 061213.dnsz.JPG
upper skywalker 061213.dnsz.JPG (177.16 KiB) Viewed 563 times

skywalker 061213.dnsz.JPG
skywalker 061213.dnsz.JPG (212.46 KiB) Viewed 563 times
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Liquid Shadow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Unclegar, you must be in the first group up Skywalker today. There were two skiers after you guys who are not 14ers.com members. Then there was me :-D You guys were already halfway up when I reached the base of the couloir.

Postby unclegar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Liquid Shadow wrote:Unclegar, you must be in the first group up Skywalker today. There were two skiers after you guys who are not 14ers.com members. Then there was me :-D You guys were already halfway up when I reached the base of the couloir.

Yup. That was me and Big Schwimm. Beautiful day to be out in the mountains!
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Liquid Shadow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 pm

unclegar wrote:
Liquid Shadow wrote:Unclegar, you must be in the first group up Skywalker today. There were two skiers after you guys who are not 14ers.com members. Then there was me :-D You guys were already halfway up when I reached the base of the couloir.

Yup. That was me and Big Schwimm. Beautiful day to be out in the mountains!

You guys were quick too! This was my first couloir climb ever and it took me 4 goddamn hours in the couloir alone!

Postby MatB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 am

Northeast couloir on Arkansas still in.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby MatB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 am

Beware though, critters shredded the wiring of my car yesterday. Just got the great news... 450 to fix everything.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby boleslav » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:06 pm

6/12 Juliet - we just downclimbed, bergshrund in the middle, not difficult to downclimb it, several rocks poking out in the middle of couloir, need careful navigation

Desdemona- has huge cornice on the right side, with a bit of luck, doable on the left side where there is no cornice

6/12 Snowlion - in good shape, a bit of bergshrund near the top, the downside - long approach through the heavily snowed forest, the trail non existent the plus side - solitude

6/13 Skywalker- still in good shape, a bit of bergshrund bellow the top

Postby pete26 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:04 am

Skywalker looks good. Has anyone been skiing it or any thoughts on how well it would ski? What is the best time to start, thinking about doing it Sunday. Which exit out of the couloir are most people taking?
Live today like yesterdays history and tomorrows a mystery.

Postby Liquid Shadow » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:30 am

pete26 wrote:Skywalker looks good. Has anyone been skiing it or any thoughts on how well it would ski? What is the best time to start, thinking about doing it Sunday. Which exit out of the couloir are most people taking?

I did Skywalker on Wednesday 6/12. I didn't ski it but there was a group of two skiers ahead of me who skied down the couloir. By the looks of it they didn't have any trouble skiing it. I got to the couloir a little late, around 8AM. By the time I got to the top the snow was pretty soft (I was slow, my first couloir). But I took the Princess Leia exit and it was fine. The skiers took the Princess Leia exit as well. I would think 6 or 7AM would be an ideal time to start.

PreviousNext