Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Couloir Season 2013

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Couloir Season 2013

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 am

If anyone has first hand/pictures beta of couloirs throughout the state, please post them on this thread. If you want to keep it secret, please PM any interested party members :

With that being said, does anyone have any recent beta on the following lines? :

1) Crestone Peak's Red Gully

2) Broken Hand Peak - Broken Dogleg Couloir (Northeast Face)

3) Aetna - Grand Couloir

4) Crested Butte area - Gothic, Red Lady Bowl and anything else within striking distance

5) Sayres X-Rated

6) Mount Sopris

7) Grizzly Peak D (one near Loveland Pass) and any of the lines going in to Grizzly Gulch (east facing).

8) Lackawanna or Rinker Peak

9) Bald's (or Baldy) north side from French Creek outside Breck.

10) Horn Peak - the prominent 13er you can see clearly from anywhere in the town of Westcliff (mainly the East side).

11) Missouri's North Face

I'm not trying to announce my plans, just trying to save some gas money. Thanks, in advance for the help. Feel free to open this up to all of the state.

Re: Couloir Season 2013

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 am

Yo Brian,

2 weekends ago went up a southwest facing couloir on Pt. 13,660 in the Sangres. Pretty damn good conditions man. Little soft in spots but overall nice cramponing.

Was on the Red Gully 2/16/13 and I would be that thing is about to come in nicely just based on the climb I did 2 weeks ago and the fact that its south facing.

North facing stuff needs more time (mid Aprial maybe) in the Sangres as of 2 weeks ago.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:43 am

Looking for beta on Brian's list as well but also the following...

Harvard - South Face
Arkansas - N. couloir
Cronin - East face
El Diente
Uncompaghre
Wetterhorn
Citadel - Snoopy's Backside
Snowmass
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm

So Horn Peak is NOT snow climbable this year......

Zach - Snoopy's is in just about every year, as it sucks up a lot of the snow in that area. Hagar, more or less, as well. Hopefully the top portion of Arkansas is better than it was last year. Lots of shark fins lurking around the top.

Abe - Thanks man, thats encouraging to know and see.

Postby nkan02 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Hopefully the top portion of Arkansas is better than it was last year.

As seen from Democrat a couple of weeks ago, Arkansas couloir looked pretty well filled in (don't know how it is relative vs. a year ago). The slope to the right of the couloir (on the lookers right) has slid though.

Lackawanna conditions should be available after this weekend, as there is Scott P's group going.

Not to stand up again, I will appreciate any current info on:

Quandary - Christo
Shavano - Angel and above
Horseshoe - Boudoir
Grizzly Peak A
Hope

Postby Carl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Does it have to be a couloir to lodge a conditions request in this thread? Anyone know if Sherman is skiable? I think the most likely route would be a continuous line down the SE ridge to the south face. Haven't seen any recent pics. Thanks! A pic of Crestone Needle from Broken Hand or that unnamed 13er above Cottonwood Lake would be helpful too.

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Carl wrote:Does it have to be a couloir to lodge a conditions request in this thread? Anyone know if Sherman is skiable? I think the most likely route would be a continuous line down the SE ridge to the south face. Haven't seen any recent pics. Thanks! A pic of Crestone Needle from Broken Hand or that unnamed 13er above Cottonwood Lake would be helpful too.

Carl - With the infrequency of snow in that area, have you ever thought of skiing the Needle's south gully entirely on belay? Would that count based on today's 14er standards? When Jordan White skied off the summit of Wetterhorn, he didn't really ski on any snow, but he also didn't side step down. He skied 40 degree bare rock. Sounds like the anty needs to be upped.

edit : He did ski on some snow.....

Last edited by lordhelmut on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Carl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 pm

I've already waited a few years. I can wait a few more before I feel the need to bring a 1,000 ft rope, build a solid anchor up top, and ski rap it like the secret chute on Capitol. Eventually we'll have an average or better year in the Sangres.

Postby Bean » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:28 pm

You buy the static line and I'll haul the spool up.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:57 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:Uncompaghre
Wetterhorn

Good to go as of 3-19-13. Firm, cramponablle. Uncompahgre's SW face has three shallow couloirs. We took the one to the right, looking at it from Wetterhorn.

Postby livetothemax96 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 pm

what about dead dog? I'm sure it's in coverage wise, any ideas when it will be stable enough to hit? Also, is there enough snow to ski on between the couloir and the summit?

Also, on the topic of Uncompahgre, is it in from the summit? Pictures?
whats life unless you live it?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 am

Carl wrote:A pic of Crestone Needle from Broken Hand or that unnamed 13er above Cottonwood Lake would be helpful too.

Perhaps this will aid in your pursuit Carl. Taken 2/16/13 . That unnamed 13er you speak of is "Crestolita" (mountains have feelings too)
Attachments
P1050123.jpg
Crestolita
P1050123.jpg (301.74 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
P1050124.jpg
BH Peak and Crestolita
P1050124.jpg (345.07 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Next