Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er spine lines

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

14er spine lines

Postby Stevo68 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Anybody know of some good spine lines on our beautiful 14ers?

Re: 14er spine lines

Postby taylorzs » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:11 pm

I can't think of any off the top of my head. Spine lines are not very common around Colorado because we do not get enough snow to stick to arete like features that make such things unfortunately. Maybe some 14er on a heavy snow year, I am curious to see if anyone can think of anything. The No Name Headwall off Berthoud pass (not a 14er) is kind of spiny...can't think of anything else in Colorado.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby Stevo68 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Yeah I figured if anywhere I'd think in the San jauns. The thought also occur so me if I had found one and it was on the shallow side of snow, what fun that would be

Postby lodgling » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:35 pm

While not really spine lines, there are lines on some 14ers where you can ride the ridge between chutes and gain some safety from slough. Portions of Castle E face and Huron come to mind.

Postby Jcwhite » Thu May 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Windom Peak Widowmaker route...

Landry Line is steep enough that the small ridges feel like spines. Thats all that i can think of.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby moneymike » Thu May 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Castle's east face has a nice spine line to looker's left of the main gulley. The south face of Guyot (13er) has a few nice spines, mostly above cliffs, but there's one nice spine line to looker's right of the summit. The fall line eventually takes you over cliffs, but you can get a nice ski before having to traverse. Guyot's S face is looking really nice right now

Postby PaliKona » Thu May 09, 2013 7:30 pm

There's gotta be something on Bross!

Seriously though, what about in the Gores? Not 14ers but I'd think there would be some great spines in there if you can get in.

Postby lordhelmut » Thu May 09, 2013 7:34 pm

That Guyot recommendation is a solid one. East face of thunder pyramid is another. Southeast face of Snow Peak in the gores another.