Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Almost FREE!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Almost FREE!

Postby Jim Davies » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:59 am

Never been to either Powderhorn (or the U.P.). My wife and I have talked about getting a Monarch pass one of these years, once the kids move away and can't ski Loveland with us.

So, when can I get a "nobody cares that you ski backcountry" bumper sticker? :mrgreen:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby pvnisher » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:29 am

These are like #firstworldproblems.
There are zero, I repeat, zero ski areas in the entirety of England. You can do a bit in Scotland if you like dodging sheep,skiing over grass whilst in the rain, though. So there's always that.
Of course, it's also just 2 hours flight time to Geneva and an hour drive further to Chamonix. \:D/

But to the original point, I had the Liberty Pass (unlimited Keystone and A-Basin) for some years (2004-2007?) and loved it at first. 20-30 days/year. But that third year I did start to see it as a bit of a chore to drive up for a weekend daytrip. Couldn't afford to go elsewhere (already had the Pass!), so I basically memorized every run at those 2 places.

I started to get more into backcountry options, but then moved to Virginia and that put an end to things real fast.

Now if someone mentions going to one of those 2 places it makes me cringe a bit. Although a good old-fashioned top-to-bottom 3.5 mile Schoolmarm race is always good for a laugh and surprisingly hard on the thighs.

Postby illusion7il » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:39 am

A Day trip To Breckenridge from Colorado Springs

5:30 am Leave my home
7:55 am Arrive at Free parking lot and Gear up
8:05 am get on the Bus
8:15 am Get on the Gondola
8:25 am arrive at Peak 7
8:35 am First Lift
3:50 pm Last Lift
4:05 pm Get on the Gondola
4:15 pm Wait for the Bus
4:25 pm get on the Bus
4:35 pm Arrive at Free parking and gear down
7:15 pm Arrive at home

Number of lift rides = 30
Average time on Lifts = 8 mins X 30 lift rides = 4 hrs
2 bath room breaks and a warm up = 30 mins
Total time spent unstrapping and strapping my board on = 15 mins
Total time spent waiting in Line = 30 mins
Distance traveled from first lift to end of last run = 76.53 Miles
Elevation Gain 38,265 Feet
Max speed = 44.18 mph
Favorite run – Whales Tail to Ore Bucket

Total time from first lift to end of last run 7 Hrs 30 Mins
Total time I was away from home 13 Hrs 45 Mins
Actual Time I spent riding my board downhill = 2 hrs 15 mins

These stats are based on a WEEKDAY. If you go on the weekend, plan on cutting your ride time in half and replace it with waiting in line.
*Source of stats – Epic Mix and My Tracks android app*

+ If you ride any of the black terrain, plan on getting about 3-5 P-Tex repairs, a hand wax, and maybe even a core shot. Cost for repairs at REI - $60 ( I fix my own gear but I’m assuming most people don’t)

Boarding is a lot of fun, but is it really worth all this?

Postby taylorzs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:02 am

Why yes, yes it is. I guess there are always shopping malls and watching TV if riding is not your thing...
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com
www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com

Postby ameristrat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:43 pm

illusion7il wrote:If you ride any of the black terrain, plan on getting about 3-5 P-Tex repairs, a hand wax, and maybe even a core shot. Cost for repairs at REI - $60 ( I fix my own gear but I’m assuming most people don’t)

Boarding is a lot of fun, but is it really worth all this?

I was at Vail yesterday and got 40k. Pretty good day as far as I'm concerned - especially considering this was a weekend. I didn't wait for more than a minute in any line.

Also how did you manage to find that many rocks. Coverage at Breck wasn't great (last weekend before they got 10" this weekend), but it was extremely easy to avoid the few rocks there were (on blacks).

If you don't like the resort thing, don't do it, but you're the one who paid $500 to ride this year. Plus, where else are you gonna get 30k of riding in a day?

This isn't directed at you as much as the sentiment in general - I never understand why people rip on the resorts and then continually visit them when it costs so much money. It's like complaining about flying. Sure there are parts of it that aren't the best, but are you going to drive across the country?
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby semitrueskerm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:06 pm

YooperJonKornely wrote:Powderhorn, Indianhead, the "Porkies", Marquette Mt, Brule, Norway... They were awesome and great to learn on as a kid... All 30 seconds down and 20 minutes back up!

You're forgetting Whitecap & Blackjack.

Oh course, to true Wisconsinites, the UP was exotic. Not quite like our home ski areas of Nordic at Mt. Morris & Rib Mountain.

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:21 pm

illusion7il wrote:Boarding is a lot of fun, but is it really worth all this?

For some, yes. For you, maybe not? Hang it up for a season and see?
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby BenfromtheEast » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:14 pm

ameristrat wrote:Also how did you manage to find that many rocks. Coverage at Breck wasn't great (last weekend before they got 10" this weekend), but it was extremely easy to avoid the few rocks there were (on blacks).

It's a lot tougher to avoid them in fresh snow, especially if you don't know the mountain and where they might be hiding. Obviously the best solution is to stay home when it's snowing.

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:25 pm

All this complaining about skiing... I don't get it. I'm working on 50-50 resort to BC. Best of both worlds! I go for laps, training, skill improvement and just a good time to a resort. In the BC I go for views, powder, friends and amazing lines.

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Magnum420 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:53 am

In general, I've noticed that most of the complaining seems to come from the weekend warrior crowd. Don't hear too many complaints from the weekday resort skiers. Skiing pretty much only on weekdays(150+ days a season) gives me a much better opinion of the resorts. No traffic, no lines, etc...

Plus, I'm lazy in the winter... and my skinning setup is too heavy... :)
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby powhound » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:15 am

This past Sunday at Breck, after the storm had been over for almost 24 hrs. I didn't get my lazy butt on the hill till 1:00. While you won't find virgin untouched powder fields waiting just for you, there are still some sweet lines to be had. My son and I had a blast laying down these 8s.

"don't tell me this 'mountain' ain't got no heart...ya just gotta poke around"
8s.JPG
8s.JPG (55.06 KiB) Viewed 290 times

Postby Easy Rider » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 am

Looks like a great day. As I said, I wish I could afford to do that everyday. It can be hard to motivate for the backcountry too sometimes, but I usually have a good time. Usually...
Attachments
PICT0535.jpg
PICT0535.jpg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 247 times

PreviousNext