Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Snowmobiling/Skiing Around Grays

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Snowmobiling/Skiing Around Grays

Postby Mitch527 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:04 pm

I'm a midwesterner heading out to CO for some skiing in a few weeks. I'll mostly be skiing at A Basin, Keystone, maybe Loveland and around that area. We were planing on camping up around the Grays Peak Trailhead for a few nights. Thoughts on this idea in the first place?

I have climbed Grays and Torreys a couple times in the summer so I know the area decently well.

My question is about snowmobiling and or skiing up in that area in this time of winter. Would it be worth it or even safe to bring a sled up and snag some turns on a chill off day from the resorts? Are there any regulations on snowmobiles up there?

Thanks in advance for any input. Its perfectly ok to call me out if this is a terrible plan.

Re: Snowmobiling/Skiing Around Grays

Postby John Landers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:42 pm

Don't believe you take a snowmoblie off the road or past the summer trailhead in that area.

Postby justiner » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:44 pm

I think you'd be SOL right before the start of the summer trail head.

You may be better served in Horseshoe Basin, to the east, or somewhere like the Boreas Pass area, much to the North. You could also try Mosquito Pass, to the West of Boreas Pass. Lots of other places.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby Mitch527 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:03 am

OK thanks for the info. I was having trouble finding any regulations on sleds in the area.

Horseshoe Basin actually looks way better for the type of thing we are looking to do (more gentle slopes)
Any idea on how that road (Co Rd 250 on a map) is that heads into the basin in the winter? I drive a 2500 diesel pickup and I have chains for all four tires so unless there's a closed gate or multiple feet of snow we can probably make it.

I'll do some research into Boreas and Mosquito thanks!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:19 am

People often snowmobile all the way up to the end of Horseshoe Basin. If you decide to ride up in that area, you must ride through a tough stretch (I'm guessing about 3 miles up) where you have no choice but to sidehill for about 100 yards and it's not always easy, even on a light sled.

There are other places to ride in that area, like Deer Creek out of Montezuma. Deer Creek gets traffic and it's an excellent ride where you can get over 12,000'. PM me if you'd like a map.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby USAKeller » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 am

I'm pretty certain there aren't any regulations there because it's not part of a Wilderness Area (snowmobiles aren't allowed in Wilderness Areas) and most National Forest Areas do allow them. G & T reside in Arapaho National Forest which does allow snowmobiles. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Bill and I took sleds all the way up to 12,200' in the basin each time when we skied Grays and Torreys.

Postby Bean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 am

USAKeller wrote:I'm pretty certain there aren't any regulations there because it's not part of a Wilderness Area (snowmobiles aren't allowed in Wilderness Areas) and most National Forest Areas do allow them. G & T reside in Arapaho National Forest which does allow snowmobiles. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Neither snowmobiles nor bicycles are allowed past the summer TH, despite it not being a Wilderness area (at least on the trail - this is clearly a somewhat confusing issue due to the non-W nature of the area).
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby JE242 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:45 am

Stevens Gultch is a county road. So technically, you can't take any unlicened motorized vehicle up it. Like Bean said, the trail proper, is signed 'no motorized or bicycles' (because of its national scenic trail status). That said, sleds are permitted on the land adjacent to the trail.

Postby Mike8000m » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:26 am

Tent camping or RV? I tent camped at the summer trailhead in early Feb this year. But it's a 3 mile hike up to ST. I don't know about camping at WT.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:40 am

JE242 wrote:Stevens Gultch is a county road. So technically, you can't take any unlicened motorized vehicle up it. Like Bean said, the trail proper, is signed 'no motorized or bicycles' (because of its national scenic trail status). That said, sleds are permitted on the land adjacent to the trail.

Isn't Stevens Gulch is a forest service (FS) road. I'm not sure what the rules are for snowmobiling FS roads when closed in winter, but they get tons of sled traffic throughout the state.

Additionally, in Stevens Gulch, usually the best sled line above the TH is to follow the creek up to 12k', not the summer trail.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby USAKeller » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:07 am

Bean wrote:
USAKeller wrote:I'm pretty certain there aren't any regulations there because it's not part of a Wilderness Area (snowmobiles aren't allowed in Wilderness Areas) and most National Forest Areas do allow them. G & T reside in Arapaho National Forest which does allow snowmobiles. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Neither snowmobiles nor bicycles are allowed past the summer TH, despite it not being a Wilderness area (at least on the trail - this is clearly a somewhat confusing issue due to the non-W nature of the area).

Ahhh yes I do remember that sign now.

Postby JE242 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13 am

Yep, Stevens Gultch is a county road. They do all of the grading/maintainance etc. up to the lot. Grizzly is FS though.

Next