Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunday 2/24 - Backcountry Skiing

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Sunday 2/24 - Backcountry Skiing

Postby robco » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Looks like we're in for some new snow Saturday night and through the day Sunday: http://opensnow.com/state/CO :YY

Planning on heading out for some backcountry skiing on Sunday. Right now thinking Meadow Mountain, near Vail, but also considering Berthoud or other options. Anyone who wants to join can feel welcome. I'll probably be spending the night near Frisco saturday night

I'll have beacon/shovel/probe and have taken Avy 1; will be staying under 30 degree slopes, personally, I wouldn't expect the CAIC forecast to be favorable.

(Fair warning: I am a backcountry ski n00b. Still getting used to my backcountry setup, feels a lot different from my resort setup. Other beginners welcome. If you're experienced and feel like providing mentorship, we'll have donuts and beer for you.)

Re: Sunday 2/24 - Backcountry Skiing

Postby GregMiller » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 pm

I'll put my name down as a maybe, another noob looking to learn. I have beacon/shovel/probe and have completed Avy 1. Under 30 degrees sounds good to me!

Postby livetothemax96 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:59 am

edit: Nevermind, looks like I'm not heading up on Sunday. Anyone down to carpool from Denver?
whats life unless you live it?

Postby dfrizzle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm looking to go up to the Moffat Tunnel with the pooch in the morning...Heart Lake or Arapahoe Lakes either one...can't leave Golden till about 8 or 8:30. Wouldn't mind some company if anyone's interested :-D
One foot in and one foot back, but it don't pay to live like that.
So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks, for never to return.