Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tom Chapman Announces "New" Resort

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Tom Chapman Announces "New" Resort

Postby 434stonemill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 am

So it looks like Tom Chapman is up to his same old tricks. And announced the development of a "new" resort in the Bear Creek area next to Telluride

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thebalancesheet/

Currently, he is just asking anyone who accesses Bear Creek to sign a waiver form. Do you think ultimately, he will charge people to access Bear Creek from Telluride or is a ploy to get Telluride to buy this land from him at exorbitant price, or do you really think he is going to "develop" and run this resort?

Re: Tom Chapman Announces "New" Resort

Postby pills2619 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 am

I think it would be pretty sweet to have another Silverton Mountian style ski area in Colorado. I don't know much about this guy who is doing it but at this point it seems like there will either be some houses or a ski area and I would rather have the ski area.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby ak47 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Another ploy by chapman to get even richer? He's creating another upper class: 1% of the 1%. Ski area will call this bluff and raise, while locals band together and boycott. It will be civil war in the san juans!

Postby Carl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:16 pm

pills2619 wrote:I think it would be pretty sweet to have another Silverton Mountian style ski area in Colorado. I don't know much about this guy who is doing it but at this point it seems like there will either be some houses or a ski area and I would rather have the ski area.

It's just an attempt at a manipulative power play. Check out this article from Nov. 2011 if you want to learn more about the Tom Chapman and Bear Creek. http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/natural-intelligence/Backcountry-Monopoly.html. No comparison to Silverton.

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 pm

'The press release also includes a classic Chapman twist: an alternative to the yurt and the ski area would be securing zoning for a 1,000 square-foot single family home – with “hand-adzed, dovetailed corner” – that would be “Telluride’s ultimate ski-in, ski-out homesite.”'

This guy is proving once again he is Colorado's number one A$$hole.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby jmc5040 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Carl wrote:
pills2619 wrote:I think it would be pretty sweet to have another Silverton Mountian style ski area in Colorado. I don't know much about this guy who is doing it but at this point it seems like there will either be some houses or a ski area and I would rather have the ski area.

It's just an attempt at a manipulative power play. Check out this article from Nov. 2011 if you want to learn more about the Tom Chapman and Bear Creek. http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/natural-intelligence/Backcountry-Monopoly.html. No comparison to Silverton.

"Not surprisingly, the townies are upset: stickers reading TOM CHAPMAN IS A DOUCHE BAG have cropped up all over Telluride."
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:42 pm

In the article it says he's not planning a lift, but mumbles something about helicopters. The extent of his "resort" seems to be a removable yurt with a deck. This is extortion, pure and simple, nothing to do with making a "ski area".
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby pvnisher » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Agreed. His investment is essentially a website, some drawings, and filing the paperwork for approval, which will take years.
In the meantime he gets to ratchet up some pressure and try to extort a higher price.

Next up he'll claim that the land will be used for clubbing baby seals or something to try to get people to urge Telluride to buy the land from him "before something awful happens."

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Or maybe he'll start shooting coyotes from his yurt deck. That would probably work in Boulder.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby 434stonemill » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:54 am

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22404620/tom-chapmans-plan-ski-area-next-telluride-stirs

Follow up from the initial story. As expected, Chapman's plans haven't been submitted yet to the Forest Service. And his proposed help-operations would overlap with another company who already has rights to that area.

Here's hoping he doesn't succeed in his extortion.

Postby Jesse M » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:17 am

Not sure this can be called extortion.

The obtaining of property from another induced by wrongful use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of official right.

Shouldn't you all be mad at the guy who sold Chapman the land? Unless that is where the extortion took place, but it sounds like Chapman payed a more than fair price for the land, which makes it his property, and shouldn't he be able to do with it what he wants?

Postby Doug Shaw » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:27 am

Chapman, a longtime property rights advocate, said in the press release that the Forest Service and ski area policy of allowing access from Telluride “enable trespass on private property, unfairly dumping unwanted liability onto Bear Creek private lands – lands that were there long before skiing became fashionable in Telluride, long before there was a Telski ski area, and long before there was a National Forest Service.”

Gee, he accidently forgot to include in that thought that the lands were also there long before there were any laws describing the concept of private property at all.

I'm pretty sure the Utes were back in there utilizing that "public land" before there was ever even a United States or a United States Government capable of simultaneously assailing and defending his private property rights.

Here's some background on Tom Chapman for folks. Hint: he's not held in high regard even by other private-property advocates.

Arguing over whether his actions meet the technical definition of extortion is missing the point.

Next