Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trails for touring practice?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Trails for touring practice?

Postby colbyde » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:51 pm

I love hittin resorts at night on my split, just be careful. A friend of a friend is a cat driver at vail and said he saw two skiers blindly ski right by his winch line the other night.

Postby mtnfiend » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Cruiser wrote:FWIW, I disagree with mtnfiend about skinning technique. Go ask any of the rando racers if skinning technique matters. It does. Granted it's not tremendously complicated, but good skinning technique yields efficiencies that can potentially lead to more summits or more powder turns. There's no reason not to practice, particularly right now when there's no real bc skiing to be done.

I didn't mean to say technique wasn't important. I thought I said the opposite? I find technique is a topic I routinely think about on every tour while I'm sucking wind trying to keep up with my partners!

If you're only looking to skin for the sake of practice, then save the gas and time traveling to the mountains and skin around the neighborhood after it snows.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby Cruiser » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 pm

^^^ I call bs. Everyone knows that it doesn't snow down here anymore... #-o
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby SolarAlex » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:48 am

hey farcedude ill be in the abasin parking lot today with my friend around 4. i called and they said uphill access is open after 4.

Postby GregMiller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:48 pm

SolarAlex wrote:hey farcedude ill be in the abasin parking lot today with my friend around 4. i called and they said uphill access is open after 4.

SolarAlex - sorry to say it, but I'm having to work this afternoon. I'll probably give them or Winter Park a try on Monday, though.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby GregMiller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Just skinned to the top of Winter Park, and thought I'd share some thoughts (yes I'm updating a status from the top, deal with it):

Winter Park is totally, awesomely supportive of uphill travel and skinning. I got nothing but support from everyone here, from the lifties, the ski patrol, and other skiers/boarders (well there was one chick on a board who shouted "You're doing it wrong!", to which I replied that I was earning it).

I'd like to especially give a shout-out to Mike from the snow crew - stopped by twice to make sure no one was giving me any s**t (no one was), complimented me on my form, and pointed out quieter trails with better slopes to skin up.

I can't say enough good about the folks here. If you've had a bad experience in the past, give them another try (although I'll admit I can't speak for the MJ side).
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby jlarocco » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:You can always practice touring at Abasin, Breck, and probably other areas that I can't think of off the top of my head. Both have uphill access. Just read their rules before going. Safe and easy.

In case anybody missed it, ABasin changed their uphill access policy this year.

The big changes are that they're requiring people to get a free uphill pass, the upper mountain (past the mid-mountain lodge) is closed to uphill during operating hours, and they've limited uphill access to the eastern edge of the High Noon run during operating hours.

I got my pass the other day and it took about 2 minutes. They just had me read the rules and sign a waiver saying I've read them. I haven't skinned up so far this year, so I don't know how actively they're enforcing it.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:23 pm

If you want to get on some trails that aren't at resorts, around summit county there's several trails that are good. plenty of skinning around buffalo mountain, the skin up to janet's cabin is a great trip. Also you can ski from copper to the summit of vail pass, it's a cross country trail that's groomed sometimes. Skiing up to vances cabin from ski cooper is a fun trip too.

Postby daver » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 pm

farcedude wrote:before I start looking at mountains or even think about taking AIARE 1 (which I plan on doing in January-ish, but only after I am comfortable on my gear).

don't underestimate a free/donation intro avy course through REI or FOBP ( http://berthoudpass.org/ )

Postby GregMiller » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:51 pm

I've done the avy awareness course through REI last year and Neptune this year, and I figure I know enough to know I need to take AIARE 1.

Previous