Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Vail gondola

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Vail gondola

Postby ajkagy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:14 pm

SeracZack wrote:Well, it looks like the plan was approved according to A-Basin's Facebook page.

"Acceptance simply means we have a pretty good plan that appears consistent with the appropriate rules, regulations, laws, and policies. In the coming months we will initiate the environmental analysis and approval process. That process includes completion of an Environmental Impact Statement."

-- sounds like it will be awhile
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SKIBREC » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:23 pm

just cause it been approved means very little...peak 6 exp approved and now is appealed.....for about 6 or 7 reasons.....one reason taking backcountry skiing on peak 6 away.....breck needs to put in the lifts that were approved yrs ago by the forest service....b4 they put in a new lift
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby SeracZack » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:24 pm

I'm in no hurry for any development out there. I like it the way it is. But change is the way of the world.

Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Postby mtnbikir » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:31 pm

lordhelmut wrote:
I lived in SW Colorado for many years which is skiing nirvana and maybe being up on the front range for so long has gotten me a little jaded, but is the soul of skiing in Colorado dead?

While I'm not gonna bother trying to compare anything along the 70 corridor with the Southwest, I'd like to think Mary Jane still has a little soul.

Like.

I heard of this new website vail-sucks.com lmao

Postby DeucesWild » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 pm

mtnbikir wrote:I heard of this new website vail-sucks.com

That should bring good Sir gdQuixote out of the woodwork. A little E-knigetting is certainly in order after that comment.

Windmills beware...
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:44 pm

mtnbikir wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:
I lived in SW Colorado for many years which is skiing nirvana and maybe being up on the front range for so long has gotten me a little jaded, but is the soul of skiing in Colorado dead?

While I'm not gonna bother trying to compare anything along the 70 corridor with the Southwest, I'd like to think Mary Jane still has a little soul.

Like.

I heard of this new website vail-sucks.com lmao

I'm game for some late night Vail bashing if anyone else is. Anyone care to start it off?

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:05 pm

MonGoose wrote:My favorite place to ski is A-Basin. I can park for free 50' from the lift, I can afford to eat lunch on the mountain and on a good snow year, the East Wall is incredible. Vail, Beaver Creek, and soon Breckenridge aren't about skiing anymore, that's just the attraction to bring in tourists. Condominiums, restaurants and entertainment are where the money is. I fear the day when A-Basin becomes the next Vail.

Yeah, the problem definitely isn't isolated at Vail these days. For the past four years it has either been A-basin or Loveland for me, though a decade or so ago I was a huge fan of WP, Copper, Keystone, Breck, etc. I like the more down-home feel of A-basin and Loveland, and I'm a huge fan of close parking. But, after four straight years at those two areas, I think I need a change of scenery.

I've become quite disenchanted with many of the resort skiing here in Colorado lately. The areas are getting more crowded and more expensive, and the traffic is worse each successive year. It seems like it was only a few years ago that I was paying around $300 for my multi-mountain season pass to Intrawest or Vail resorts, now it's in the $500 range. Add to that the price of fuel, and skiing has become quite expensive lately!

We're debating whether we'll even buy ski passes this year, or perhaps just spend our time exploring the backcountry. One thing that has come to bother me on a personal note is that I sometimes feel like when I buy a pass I have to spend too much of my time resort skiing to get my money's worth. I know there were a couple of seasons where I bypassed backcountry trips in favor of another resort weekend, and then found myself wishing that I was away from the crowds and annoyances of the ski areas. With the cost of skiing and my busy schedule these days I almost feel like it is hard the justify buying a pass, unless I decide that I want to spend all of my free time at the resorts (which I don't).
Last edited by coloradokevin on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby tommyboy360 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:09 pm

How do you know if there's a Vail ski instructor around If you're on the new gondola or riding a bus through the village?

Don't worry... He'll let you know.

Can we make fun of Breck too? Their gondola is the lamest thing ever. It doesn't get any worse than that thing. Lame, commercial and worthless except for Vail Resorts to make money. I think deep inside the mechanical room of Breck's gondola hides the switch to turn of the entire EPIC pass GTB...
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Epic pass holders all took the blue pill.

Postby YooperJonKornely » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:36 am

I assume that anyone with anything bad to say about Breck, Vail, Keystone, BC, and/or ABasin will not be in my way on the lift lines this winter. Sweet........

Postby SKIBREC » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 am

I guess its a love hate thing with VR
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:14 am

jofkorn1037 wrote:I assume that anyone with anything bad to say about Breck, Vail, Keystone, BC, and/or ABasin will not be in my way on the lift lines this winter. Sweet........

Seriously sweet! :)

Rickinco, this is the best analogy of VR I've heard. Tourists are our bread and butter in a ski town. Sure, we want to throttle someone by the time Feb/March rolls around, but they're our economy.

A beach vacation or cruise is easy. Roll out of bed in the morning, amount of clothing is optional, and do "beachy stuff". Pretty damn easy.

A ski vacation means, get up at the right time to get kids or self to ski school or catch the early powder. Make sure you are dressed appropriately for the day. Possibly rent ski equipment. Go have fun in the cold.

When you compare these 2 scenarios, Vail is trying to make the latter more like the former. They are not competing with other ski areas, they are competing in the resort industry as a whole.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

PreviousNext