Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Vail gondola

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Vail gondola

Postby ajkagy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:43 pm

ChicagoMike wrote:but is the soul of skiing in Colorado dead?

naw, go to loveland :)

I still would like to think abasin won't change much, but seems like everywhere they are trying to do upgrades even though revenues are mostly flat. It's just a matter of time before T-bars and surface lifts are all gone.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:44 pm

I lived in SW Colorado for many years which is skiing nirvana and maybe being up on the front range for so long has gotten me a little jaded, but is the soul of skiing in Colorado dead?

While I'm not gonna bother trying to compare anything along the 70 corridor with the Southwest, I'd like to think Mary Jane still has a little soul.

Postby rickinco123 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:47 pm

My great Grandfather had an early "ski area" on his ranch outside Crested Butte. It was served with 3 model-t engine running ropes. My grandmother worked at Ski Pioneer, first chair in colorado which was actually a converted ore tram. Quaint huh? I'll take what we have today.

I have seen nothing but improvements in Colorado Skiing over the years. The screwed up lift systems at Breck was somewhat fixed, Crested butte got a poma to the outer limits and the headwall, Ajax got real lifts etc, etc. Keep it coming!

Postby GregMiller » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:49 pm

lordhelmut wrote:... I'd like to think Mary Jane still has a little soul.

Ssssh :-$ not so loudly!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby ChicagoMike » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:52 pm

farcedude wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:... I'd like to think Mary Jane still has a little soul.

Ssssh :-$ not so loudly!

Love the Utah lot

Postby rickinco123 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 pm

ajkagy wrote:
I still would like to think abasin won't change much, but seems like everywhere they are trying to do upgrades even though revenues are mostly flat. It's just a matter of time before T-bars and surface lifts are all gone.

The turning points for Abasin was the last KBCO cardboard derby held there and increasing amounts of dog and human excrement turning up in the parking lots from overnight campers. Those 2 things cause some people to take a second look at how they were going to develop the area. In the end though, it probably all just boils down to increasing amounts of people on the Front Range.

Postby ChicagoMike » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 pm

rickinco123 wrote:

My great Grandfather had an early "ski area" on his ranch outside Crested Butte. It was served with 3 model-t engine running ropes. My grandmother worked at Ski Pioneer, first chair in colorado which was actually a converted ore tram. Quaint huh? I'll take what we have today.

I have seen nothing but improvements in Colorado Skiing over the years. The screwed up lift systems at Breck was somewhat fixed, Crested butte got a poma to the outer limits and the headwall, Ajax got real lifts etc, etc. Keep it coming!

As I started out saying I am a free market guy and improvement is good (Although I was a little sad when they pulled out the old chair 10 two pack at Vail). But at what point does expansion for the sake of improvement encroach on the backcountry. I am only first generation Colorado (since '93) but I like "quaint" and I like my climbing skins. Unfortunately as you rightly pointed out those days are probably gone forever.

Sorry....rant over.

Postby rickinco123 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:09 pm

ChicagoMike wrote:As I started out saying I am a free market guy and improvement is good (Although I was a little sad when they pulled out the old chair 10 two pack at Vail). But at what point does expansion for the sake of improvement encroach on the backcountry. I am only first generation Colorado (since '93) but I like "quaint" and I like my climbing skins. Unfortunately as you rightly pointed out those days are probably gone forever.

Sorry....rant over.

You need to fly over I70 in a Cessna, the ski areas are really quite small from up there, including Vail. There are plenty of places to go with your skins that are alot better than the areas being developed.

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:26 pm

ChicagoMike wrote:But at what point does expansion for the sake of improvement encroach on the backcountry

Seriously? Just because some resorts have expanded, that means backcountry skiing is gone and there's no where else to skin? I just don't understand your logic here.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby roguejackalope » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:45 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:
ChicagoMike wrote:But at what point does expansion for the sake of improvement encroach on the backcountry

Seriously? Just because some resorts have expanded, that means backcountry skiing is gone and there's no where else to skin? I just don't understand your logic here.

I agree. Ski area expansion isn't significantly altering the amount of skiable backcountry terrain. I can think of a few places where a ski area has grown to include an area that used to be out of bounds, but not that many. And most resorts are trending towards being more tolerant, if not outright promoting, backcountry access through ski area boundaries. If sidecountry isn't your thing there are other places to go skinning.
"Hiking is just walking where it's okay to pee" - Demetri Martin

Postby ChicagoMike » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:50 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:

It is getting tough out there on the front range. Last year was scrappy. Pray for snow. Then I need to fight CDOT and their metering of traffic. Too many people, which I admit that I am part of the problem. Growth is a good thing

These are major questions facing the future of the state of Colorado. To belittle concern is just being flip. I am sure you would up in arms if Noble Energy put a gas rig up in your neighborhood or favorite recreation spot. I really don't see much of a difference between the two. Revenue generated from the use of public land. So pick your poison.

Postby SeracZack » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm

SeracZack wrote:
rickinco123 wrote: Now Abasin has some great tree skiing which it was severely lacking.

They could be getting more, and lift accessed as well.

http://www.arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/mountain/master-development/default.aspx

Possible development at A-Basin, including upgrading the Pali lift. As an A-Basin person myself, I don't know how I feel about the development just yet. But the new plan looks like it could open a lot of tree skiing terrain. Although, if I remember correctly, the hike back terrain is notorious for avalanche-ing (could be wrong though).

Well, it looks like the plan was approved according to A-Basin's Facebook page.

PreviousNext