Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dreamin of winter

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Dreamin of winter

Postby sstratta » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:18 pm

things are melting in the gores, but some areas are nicely filled in!
Attachments
058.JPG
058.JPG (270.58 KiB) Viewed 394 times

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:02 am

^^^^Keep the early season stoke coming guys and gals. I've had one day off from work in the last 6 weeks, I'm dying to get out.

AP Snow, gb and TeamDino......how were the sharks? Starting to get covered up?
Last edited by EatinHardtack on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Postby hardtryer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 am

starting to fill in!!!! =D>

Postby TeamDino5280 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:01 am

EatinHardtack wrote:^^^^Keep the early season stoke coming guys and gals. I've had one day off from work in the last 6 weeks, I'm dying to get out.

AP Snow, gb and TeamDino......how were the sharks? Starting to get covered up?

On Jones there are still some lurking, I got one shot that will need some P-tex. Should be better after the mid week storm coming up fingers crossed.
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Be careful, skiing is dangerous!! Best to wait till the end of the year and all the snow is gone.

Postby oldschoolczar » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Where do people ski at Loveland Pass? Is it primarily that big bowl just to the west of the actual pass? I was thinking about heading up there with my new AT setup, but the terrain looks a bit sketchier than I originally thought. Probably need to wait until I can find an experienced partner to go with me..

rsz_1llpass.jpg
rsz_1llpass.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 857 times

Where are some good low angle touring areas (<25 degrees) with minimal avy danger that I could get out solo and just try out my new AT setup for a couple laps? I can look at topos and identify safer lines, but Loveland just has way more avy terrain than I was expecting. I don't plan on BC skiing solo, but I'd like to see how these skis feel so I was just looking for a very low-risk area to get out for a couple turns. Maybe I'll just check out St Mary's glacier..

I'll be looking for partners as the snow starts to fall... hopefully some of you experienced folks won't mind letting a newb tag along for a tour or two. I think I'll stick to 14ers.com when it comes to looking for partners as the crowd over at TGR doesn't seem to be too JONG-friendly!! I'm a solid downhill skier (been doing it since I was 4), but I'm a total JONG in the backcountry...
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby nkan02 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Oldschool -
I am organizing a group to go skiing this Sunday. Initially, we were planning on Loveland pass, but after much discussion we are leaning towards Jones pass since it appears to have better coverage. Quite a few already interested, but we would welcome a couple of additional folks. This should be a pretty mellow outing.

Postby TeamDino5280 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:03 pm

nkan02 wrote:Oldschool -
I am organizing a group to go skiing this Sunday. Initially, we were planning on Loveland pass, but after much discussion we are leaning towards Jones pass since it appears to have better coverage. Quite a few already interested, but we would welcome a couple of additional folks. This should be a pretty mellow outing.

We were able to get all the way to tree line in my Jeep where the hairpin turn is and a little fire pit. The road was a little squirrely so I would bring a 4x4 if you want to get above TL to save some skinning. We were able to ski from the divide all the way to the car at TL. Have a great time !!!

Oldschool-

If you want to get out send me a PM we usually tour once a week, as well as do super early morning weekday tours.
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby oldschoolczar » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks for the invites Nkan and TeamDino. I would join you Sunday but my skis are in the shop getting mounted :( Bummed.. sounds like fun! Hopefully I can catch you next time.. I have taken AIARE I too so I know how to do companion rescue and some basics..
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby Dave B » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:25 am

The warm temps and blue bird day may have read spring, but the creamy pow read winter*.

*and the two core shots read fall

"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby BlueKhan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Dave B., where is that?

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:36 am

BlueKhan wrote:Dave B., where is that?

Luckily, three hours from Denver :-$

Cameron Pass.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

PreviousNext