Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Dreamin of winter

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Dreamin of winter

Postby moneymike » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:10 pm

PaliKona wrote:these series of storms (and more to come) are really helping things out up in the mtns. Anyone out skiing today?

Yeah, I was doing some skiing yesterday on the west side of the indian peaks. The whole Fraser valley is looking good. Got some knee deep powder turns :-D

Looks like a bunch more snow to come tonight and tomorrow!

Postby Carl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Finally felt like Winter has arrived today and I could stop dreaming.

And because I couldn't post this pic when this thread started because we were hoping it would be used in an ad, here is a shot of YC sending it pretty big at Berthoud last year on the split board. He came in with a ton of speed and landed out of frame. Taken by Nick Saylor.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:35 pm

Carl wrote:
And because I couldn't post this pic when this thread started because we were hoping it would be used in an ad, here is a shot of YC sending it pretty big at Berthoud last year on the split board. He came in with a ton of speed and landed out of frame. Taken by Nick Saylor.

I know that first creek rock Carl. Great photo! I took a similar one from the same spot a couple of years ago.

Good news, there is snow now, bad news, it wants to slide. Remotely triggered this bad boy yesterday. Early season is always very dicey. Be careful all.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby lodgling » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:56 am

Nice shot, Carl. Makes it look much better than it was.

Roan -- that slide looks like it is still moving?? You must be pretty quick with the camera.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:14 pm

lodgling wrote:
Roan -- that slide looks like it is still moving?? You must be pretty quick with the camera.

\:D/ I actually suspected it might go so I was locked and loaded with the camera. Admittedly, a bit of cheating on that shot.

We triggered another sizable slide today. Please be careful out there. Our snowpack is in a bad place right now. I think it's much worse than the CAIC rating currently reflects from Vail to the Frange.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby PaliKona » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:01 pm

agree...lots of cracking in the snowpack at Vail, inbounds (in trees, etc). Be careful out there.

Conditions are getting much better. Keep it coming Ullr! =D>

Postby pills2619 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:24 am

after a year of skiing I finally had my first powder day... I spent a few hours at Breck then went and checked on the dog and headed over to do some laps on Loveland pass with the pup. Probably the most fun I have ever had! I'm addicted to the white fluffy stuff and yeah apparently this stuff can go up your nose too! The title of this topic is so fitting right now.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Re: Dreamin of Winter

Postby George James » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:56 pm

This winter has been a dream come true. I'm already dreamin of the next one. Until then, here we go SPRING!

Powder in the Skillet.jpg
Powder in the Skillet.jpg (332.4 KiB) Viewed 936 times
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby PaliKona » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:48 pm

great shot! is that Silverton?

Postby Carl » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Thought I would bump this with a little home made ski stoke clip. Friends of Berthoud Pass is hosting our second annual amateur film fest tonight at Wilderness Exchange so I threw this together to see if it makes the cut. I know tonight is the 14ers HH too, but we don't start until 8pm so feel free to stop by after if you're in the area. We've got a great collection of raffle prizes, from Patagonia hats and Flylow jackets to a case of PBR and a bag of frozen (or partially frozen at that point) salmon.

Postby jmc5040 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Good luck tonight with the video! I was thinking about throwing a video together, but at the time I was supposed to be out of town tonight... maybe next year. Thanks for posting it was fun to watch.

I'd stop by but am getting an early start to ski Quandary tomorrow.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby ajkagy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:02 pm

full on corn the last 2 days, but it looks like back to winter this weekend and early next week?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

PreviousNext