Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What to do?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

What to do?

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:41 pm

I have the weekend next weekend to go skiing. I'd like to continue on my "Ski Most of the 14ers" project and am wondering what would be the best option. I think it's down to Holy Cross, Ellingwood, Kit Carson, or Sneffles as being potentially skiable. I'm thinking that HC would have the best chance of a summit ski via the cross couloir, but was wondering what the 14ers crew had for opinions.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: What to do?

Postby benners » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:57 am

Schralp,

I think out of the list you mentioned HC would be your best bet. East facing stuff in the Sawatch has been good this year, especially further north. I wouldn't mess with the Sangres at this point, unless you're extremely determined and are willing to billy goat more than you ski. I remember a thread a week or so ago that contained photos from Sneffels, and the Birthday Chutes looked uncomfortably thin. I think the guy who posted it had to really scrape together a descent off the summit. We actually cancelled a Yankee Boy trip we had planned after seeing those shots.

HC would be good I think, but there are some obvious hurdles to getting back there. Given that you're going to be hiking a long ways on dry ground to get just about any 14er descent right now, you might as well set yourself up for good skiing when you get there, right?

Good luck!

Re: What to do?

Postby Mrwaffles989 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:14 pm

I believe Holy Cross was skied just a few days ago. Looks good.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/243203-TR-In-the-white-room-on-Mount-of-the-Holy-Cross

P.S., If you're looking for a partner, I've been eyeing HC for a while :P