Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Is Mt. Guyot is skiable?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Is Mt. Guyot is skiable?

Postby livetothemax96 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 pm

Hey guys,

As I'm sure, ski fever is high right now, and with the warmer temps and lack of new snow the TR's are starting to filter in. THe recent TR on Crystal peak looked pretty good and I was wondering if anyone had any beta on guyot, heading there on sunday and wouldn't mind a little touring. Thanks

Ian
whats life unless you live it?

Re: Is Mt. Guyot is skiable?

Postby gdthomas » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:27 pm

PM Bill, I believe he just skied it.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Ian,
I skied it Wednesday and had continuous snow from ~13,150' down to the trailhead. It's not in to the summit as you can see below, but it's certainly skiable. If you go, be careful of the loaded slopes on the east side of the NW Ridge (left side of the gully during a ski). There was avalanche activity after the most recent storms (seen in photo #6) and there's plenty of loading in the area that may not be safe. On my ascent, I gained the NW Ridge below tree line and hiked the entire ridge to reach the summit. For the ski, I skied from the highest snow and carefully picked my line down the main gully, avoiding those loaded slopes. Be safe.

I hope these help...

guyot1.jpg
guyot1.jpg (178.48 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

guyot2.jpg
guyot2.jpg (245.43 KiB) Viewed 1335 times

guyot3.jpg
guyot3.jpg (253.84 KiB) Viewed 1334 times

guyot4.jpg
guyot4.jpg (194.7 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

guyot5.jpg
guyot5.jpg (154.42 KiB) Viewed 1333 times

guyot6.jpg
guyot6.jpg (195.73 KiB) Viewed 1335 times

Summit ridge:
guyot7.jpg
guyot7.jpg (202.13 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Carl » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Bill, do you know if that south (or SE?) face has any good ski lines? Just drove past it on 285 a few minutes ago on the way back from Uncomp. Looks like its got potential. Though maybe not this year.

Postby moneymike » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:53 am

Carl wrote:Bill, do you know if that south (or SE?) face has any good ski lines? Just drove past it on 285 a few minutes ago on the way back from Uncomp. Looks like its got potential. Though maybe not this year.

I did the south face of Guyot a few years back. It was truly one of my favorite lines in Colorado. There are a couple options to get down the S. face. PM me if you need some beta. There's also a really nice east facing line as well.

http://www.stanwagon.com/wagon/coloski/summitco/summitcoBreck/HTMLLinks/summitcoBreck_2.html

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:28 pm

Nice, Mike!

Carl, this is probably the view you had from US285, but most of Mike's line would be hidden behind the shoulder on the right, I think. I haven't climbed any of that face, but Mike's traverse line looks like the easiest way past the cliffs on the center of the face.
20030127_MyGuyot_01.jpg
20030127_MyGuyot_01.jpg (165.66 KiB) Viewed 938 times

This shot (taken years ago) looks east across the top of the line I believe Mike skied - I may be wrong, but I think he went across these couloirs before dropping down the lower right:
DSC08512a.jpg
DSC08512a.jpg (180.56 KiB) Viewed 918 times

There are other lines on looker left of my 1st photo above, including one I stare down every time I go up that peak. It's a steep chute that enters the defined couloir on the left of Mike's photo. I'm not sure if it's entirely skiable and I've never heard of anyone climbing or skiing it, but I think it might be a superb line. The entry is usually about 65+ (maybe 70 for 30' :shock:) degrees and then about 150' of descent to get to the couloir. A fall in the upper chute would be the end. I wish I had a shot looking down that chute, but I don't. The drop-in would be on the west end of the summit ridge, on the lower right of this photo:
P3140039a.jpg
P3140039a.jpg (175.86 KiB) Viewed 942 times

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:41 pm

BTW, the North Face of Guyot has a big line that's on my "someday" list. It's an "S" feature which drops looker-left directly from the summit. It could be done with a sled ride to Georgia Pass and re-hike to G-Pass after the ski. Georgia Pass would be on the left:
300_0005.JPG
300_0005.JPG (525.5 KiB) Viewed 920 times

THEN, there's the east face that could also be skied from G-Pass. Ski east along the summit ridge and dump into this face (photo 2010). Next to NW Ridge/Gully, this is the easiest skiing on Guyot. Photo taken from Georgia Pass:
DSC06953a.jpg
DSC06953a.jpg (113.99 KiB) Viewed 887 times

Postby Jim Davies » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:52 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I wish I had a shot looking down that chute, but I don't.

Is it this one? (summer, obviously...)
Guyot.jpg
Guyot.jpg (185.22 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:02 pm

Hmm, don't think so as it's a very defined chute. Not sure where it would be in relation to that terrain but probably to the left (east).

Postby Carl » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks for the info Bill & Mike. 70 degree entrance sounds like a mandatory rap. Looks like a few other lines on that south face though that are fun without the crazy. Might have to get on that ridge to the south for a first hand look head on. Bill, I've got a few ski priorities in the Sangres but then we should go check things out.

Postby moneymike » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:11 am

If you take a look at the photo in the link in my previous post, the obvious couloir on the left is the one Bill is talking about. The last time I viewed the entrance, it looked like a half pipe of snow, easily over 60 degrees. In a decent snow year it could be skied if you don't mind a 60+ degree, ski length narrow chute entrance. The rest of the couloir looks like nothing more than an advanced ski. However, this couloir is a garbage chute for falling cornices. Several very large east facing cornices hang over this couloir. A falling cornice would flush out the entire couloir.

If you ski the line that I did early enough in the year (and on a good snow year) you can descend through the rocks a little to looker's right of where my lower traverse begins. There are two other exit options mid way through my traverse. By the time I hit the line (late May), these exits had melted out. There are no other exits to lookers left of my traverse, it's all sheer cliff. I'll post a few pictures in a couple days (I'll show you what the south face SHOULD look like on a decent snow year). It was a fantastic line that I'd recomend. The line I chose had a max angle of 55 degrees and the fall line ended in a cliff, but easier (max 45 deg) lines can be chosen further to lookers right.

You can also find some really beautiful super smooth corn skiing on the east face that Bill showed.

Jim Davies: the last picture of Bill's first post is a shot of the S face (to the right). The entrance to the couloir is at the bottom of that photo. You cannot see very far down the chute since it takes a hard turn to the right.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:01 pm

Took a drive today to do some recon and here's a shot of the South Face. Again, I don't know if it's been climbed, but I know the chute drops into the couloir. Interesting.
guyot_southface.jpg
guyot_southface.jpg (228.3 KiB) Viewed 465 times

Next