Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Resorts Status

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Ski Resorts Status

Postby MuchosPixels » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 am

My experience this year in the i70 Resorts has been...humm frustrating and bad overall with just glimpses of good skiing. Of course, If you come from the east or do not have much experience skiing then it might be good. BUT, this has been the worst season ever for the i70 corridor (Loveland, A-Basin, Keystone, Breck, Copper, Vail, BC). Although those resorts have great facilities, grooming and overall amenities the snow conditions are not good and they can get very crowded.

Are the conditions dangerous? Yea, much more than usual. I have never seen so many people been carted of the mountain EVER. Seems every day I skied I saw someone hurt on the mountain.

Stick to groomed, lower angled terrain and you could have some fun.

Postby prestone818 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:10 am

fractured my wrist at keystone a few weeks back thanks to the abundant amount of ice. ive never been skiing out east, but i imagine its like that. the whole way down was a controlled skid. waste of a ski pass this year

Postby habaceeba » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:28 am

The conditions this year are horrible, but I wouldn't let it stop me from skiing. The snow is shaping up nicely in the afternoons. If you can get around the minefields of rocks and stumps, skiing is great.

I was at Keystone on Friday. I recorded 51 degrees at the top of Outback at 11:30AM. That's just crazy, but an hour later, the snow was in excellent shape, but I didn't touch any groomers. I was in the trees. I had similar conditions on Sunday at A-Basin. The stuff on the Pali side was nice, corny and soft. I will agree that I don't think the resorts will make it to their scheduled closing date. It's melting fast. It is definitely worth a trip up (after noon anyway).

I would suggest going to Craigslist and finding someone selling leftover A-Basin 4-pack tickets. Don't pay more than $45, and talk them down to $40. If interested, I have 1 ticket left that I'll part with for $45 firm, but honestly, I think you could find some for $40.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:56 pm

No lift lines up high on Breck today and the snow was actually pretty good - just a matter of knowing where to go.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Carl wrote:I don't understand all the complaining. Within the last 10 days we've had this within an hour of Denver (edit: an hour of Golden):

Nice photos Carl.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:07 pm

lordhelmut wrote:By skiing at Keystone, you are putting you and your father's lives at risk. I'd say Juarez, Mexico is a safer place this time of year than any blue run at Keystone. As mentioned before, spring break is in full swing and the flakey tourists are not meshing too well with the over anxious, trust fund, take no responsibility for their own actions Brovilles filling the, thin, icy, crowded slopes of Keystone. What has resulted is near record breaking DEATHS inbounds this year in Colorado. Skull fractures, blunt force trauma and Brovilles wearing neon pants, Lex Luther looking hoodies, rocking out to some obscure reggae band on their Skullcandy headphones are flying mach 10 down River Run (better known as Mogadishu or "The Mog"). You can't reason with this species either, they are the equivolent of a homeless person, with regards to their cloths, their stench and their demeanor.

Anyways, go snowshoeing or something or go to Loveland as mentioned before. Avoid Keystone.

This was harsh Brian. However it did make me laugh and then once I digested it I realized I couldn't refute any of the facts. It also reminded me why, even though I am a ski addict, I didn't buy a Summit pass this year for the first time.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

Postby jbchalk » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:47 pm

I guess its a bit harsh, but oh how I do love the vocabulary used and general tone. Helmut sure is the personality of this site. Love it. He couldn't be more accurate.

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Skied Loveland on Saturday. I was surprised how good the surface conditions were considering. The lack of fresh snow meant the groomers had worked areas that Loveland usually lets stay less groomed.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Carl » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:49 pm

habaceeba wrote:I would suggest going to Craigslist and finding someone selling leftover A-Basin 4-pack tickets. Don't pay more than $45, and talk them down to $40. If interested, I have 1 ticket left that I'll part with for $45 firm, but honestly, I think you could find some for $40.

That price sounds about right for A-Basin right now. I've got a couple tickets I'd part with for $40 to $45. Half day rate at the Winter Park window today was $93 :shock:

RoanMtnMan wrote:Nice photos Carl.

Thanks. Coming of a solid couple days at Berthoud made hearing about untracked lift serviced Japan powder a little easier.

Postby DeucesWild » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Carl wrote:Thanks. Coming of a solid couple days at Berthoud made hearing about untracked lift serviced Japan powder a little easier.

You're not missing much. I've heard the snow in Japan is sh!t. The locals call it "Samurai Cement".
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:53 pm

DeucesWild wrote:You're not missing much. I've heard the snow in Japan is sh!t. The locals call it "Samurai Cement".

Correct! All Samurai cement with only a few sightings of the beard of Zeus.

Postby Fisching » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice. However, I didn't realize I'd be setting off something of a sh*tstorm. Like I said, I know nothing about the sport; my goal is to get up a peak, not ski down it, but I'm sure my dad will appreciate the advice when deciding if it's worth spending the money to go skiing this year.

~Greg
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

PreviousNext