Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Resorts Status

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Ski Resorts Status

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Got any pictures from this weekend? ;-)

The last day Loveland reported more than a trace of snow was March 4th. Hey, I'll bet that was when you took those pictures. :D
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Carl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Got any pictures from this weekend? ;-)

Yep, skiing this weekend was different, but fun. Here's the only shot I took:

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Nice pics Carl, I had some good turns on 2/29 in the trees, but the problem is more that there is no base underneath. I have had some nice powder finds on the days it snows, but I can't think of one day where I didn't hit at least one rock and slide over one piece of buried deadfall. Not to mention the willow messes I have gotten myself into on glades that would normally not be an issue on this late in the season. Then two days after a storm all the rocks that were out before the storm are back out again because it either blew off in the wind, or got skied off.

If we have only 75% of the snow we should and its 50 degrees out, its just going to melt out that much faster. Most years I have had deeper snowpack on closing day than what I had my most recent ski day, and closing day is still 5 weeks away, "what is going to be left" is all I am trying to say. Seems a warm March combined with low snowpack is going to be bad for April.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Look on the bright side: at least we don't have a dust layer to speed the melting. Yet.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Crusty » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:07 pm

I hate people calling snow "pow" or "pow pow" or "freshies". Where did you learn to talk like that? It would get you rolled in my neighborhood.

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:19 pm

Is your neighborhood in New Jersey or something?

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Now bring on the POW snow gods.

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Crusty wrote:Where did you learn to talk like that? It would get you rolled in my neighborhood.

Like, in the hay? 'Cause that might be fun. Who doesn't enjoy a good roll in the hay?

In my neighborhood you'd get the sh*t kicked out of you for saying you'd get "rolled" as a euphemism for getting the sh*t kicked out of you. You have to admire the recursive nature of it.

Postby George James » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:25 pm

Apparently we're still due thirty percent of our annual pow at this point in the season, so there's still a decent chance for some more freshies, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. Another trip to WY might be in order...I herd dare iz pow pow there.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby ajkagy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:03 pm

George James wrote:Apparently we're still due thirty percent of our annual pow at this point in the season, so there's still a decent chance for some more freshies, but I'm certainly not getting my hopes up. Another trip to WY might be in order...I herd dare iz pow pow there.

it's alright, we'll get a ton of snow in April and May when we're all wanting to go on that first mountain bike ride, lol
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby scramble » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:02 pm

nice pics carl!!! every time i fold my skins in quarters i thank you and your wife :-D
and any skiing is good skiing, i say! it's been a super fun season, full of new experiences! and yeah some powder days.

Postby Tony1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 pm

lordhelmut wrote:By skiing at Keystone, you are putting you and your father's lives at risk. I'd say Juarez, Mexico is a safer place this time of year than any blue run at Keystone. As mentioned before, spring break is in full swing and the flakey tourists are not meshing too well with the over anxious, trust fund, take no responsibility for their own actions Brovilles filling the, thin, icy, crowded slopes of Keystone. What has resulted is near record breaking DEATHS inbounds this year in Colorado. Skull fractures, blunt force trauma and Brovilles wearing neon pants, Lex Luther looking hoodies, rocking out to some obscure reggae band on their Skullcandy headphones are flying mach 10 down River Run (better known as Mogadishu or "The Mog"). You can't reason with this species either, they are the equivolent of a homeless person, with regards to their cloths, their stench and their demeanor.

Anyways, go snowshoeing or something or go to Loveland as mentioned before. Avoid Keystone.

Oh. My. God. This post is so perfect. Not sure how it came to be, but I'm so glad I'm not one of them. =D>

Anyway, for a lack of Copper conditions posted, they're not too bad. This weekend was pretty good, actually! The groomers were not too different than normal.

East and south-facing runs across the area will be horrible in the morning, since they get softened the most by the sun and then freeze overnight. The bowls and steeps at Copper were perfect though after being warmed for a couple of hours. If you're looking to have an easy-going day, I'd say to avoid the weekend if possible, and that most groomed runs should be fine, just watch for those stray icy spots.

PreviousNext