Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Resorts Status

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports
Site Administrator

Re: Ski Resorts Status

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:45 am

Come on, Keystone has some good terrain.

Postby SolarAlex » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:59 am

id say avoid everywhere to be honest. its complete crap anywhere you go, unless you go to wolf creek. and its also spring break madness now, so there are 4005983940359 tourists on the slopes.

save the money for better conditions would be my advice. even if we get this snow this weekend, its not going to make much difference.

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:08 am

By skiing at Keystone, you are putting you and your father's lives at risk. I'd say Juarez, Mexico is a safer place this time of year than any blue run at Keystone. As mentioned before, spring break is in full swing and the flakey tourists are not meshing too well with the over anxious, trust fund, take no responsibility for their own actions Brovilles filling the, thin, icy, crowded slopes of Keystone. What has resulted is near record breaking DEATHS inbounds this year in Colorado. Skull fractures, blunt force trauma and Brovilles wearing neon pants, Lex Luther looking hoodies, rocking out to some obscure reggae band on their Skullcandy headphones are flying mach 10 down River Run (better known as Mogadishu or "The Mog"). You can't reason with this species either, they are the equivolent of a homeless person, with regards to their cloths, their stench and their demeanor.

Anyways, go snowshoeing or something or go to Loveland as mentioned before. Avoid Keystone.

Postby 12ersRule » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:17 am

USAKeller wrote:A friend of mine skied Steamboat this weekend and said the snow was horrible!

Had some good runs on Closet and Shadows, but all in all, I've gotta agree. It seemed like late April conditions there this weekend.

I also agree about Keystone. Not a great place to be at spring break!

Postby planet54 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:25 am

49ersRule wrote:I also agree about Keystone. Not a great place to be at spring break!

The only place that is more dangerous are the pop and salty snacks aisles at City Market between 4-6 PM ](*,)
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby ajkagy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 pm

silverlynx wrote:
planet54 wrote:
49ersRule wrote:I also agree about Keystone. Not a great place to be at spring break!

The only place that is more dangerous are the pop and salty snacks aisles at City Market between 4-6 PM ](*,)

Or the McDonald's drive thru line at 2am after bars close on a Friday or Saturday. :-"

taco bell is much worse in more ways than one ;)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Seeing as our snow pack is at 75% of normal and temperatures in the mid 50's this week, I am starting to highly doubt the ski resorts are even going to make it to the scheduled closing day in tact. If it doesn't snow especially, but I am already thinking for the rest of season to ski on Sundays only and hike on Saturdays. Its just not good enough to justify skiing two days in a row anymore.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby ktimm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:09 pm

Ya it's a total bummer, first time I've purchased a pass, but the conditions have been so poor, that there is no reason to use it.

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:21 pm

I would agree that for the conditions it is not worth it for an out of towner to spend the $$$ on a lift ticket. But that does depend on the expectations of the person coming. If they want to go do some mellow runs, keeping your safetey eyes open of course and staying away from the trees, and great views on blue sky sunny days then go for it. But a snowshoe or even boot hike up to Ecles pass may be just as great.

Even though this season has been far less than stellar I have been out and using my pass. 2 saturdays ago I got fresh deep pow at Keystone in the South Bowl from the outback. Not too shabby but being an east coaster I realize that sometimes you just take what you get.

Postby birdsall » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:42 pm

happy november, I mean march!
Attachments
IMG_1847.jpg
IMG_1847.jpg (98.18 KiB) Viewed 525 times

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Steve Gio wrote:2 saturdays ago I got fresh deep pow at Keystone in the South Bowl from the outback. Not too shabby but being an east coaster I realize that sometimes you just take what you get.

That was then, this is now. "Now" means several days of sunshine and warm temperatures, plus spring break crowds. I wouldn't ski Keystone right now if somebody gave me a free ticket, much less pay $90/day for the privilege.

OTOH, I'm planning to ski Loveland on Wednesday with my family. I'm expecting to cruise groomers all day, should be fun.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Carl » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:02 pm

I don't understand all the complaining. Within the last 10 days we've had this within an hour of Denver (edit: an hour of Golden):

PreviousNext