Forum

Ski Resorts Status

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ski Resorts Status

Postby Fisching » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:57 pm

My dad is in town from Chicago for the next week and he's waffling on whether it's worth the money to go skiing this year given the snow conditions. I know absolutely nothing about the sport, so I figured this would be a decent place to turn for advice.

Thanks,
~Greg
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Re: Ski Resorts Status

Postby gdthomas » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:10 pm

It depends on where he intends to ski but the forecast for the Vail Valley this week is sunny and relatively warm. The current snow base is already thin and this weather pattern will only make matters worse. So I probably wouldn't spend the money especially if he's planning on skiing later in the week.

Postby Fisching » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:35 pm

gdthomas wrote:It depends on where he intends to ski but the forecast for the Vail Valley this week is sunny and relatively warm. The current snow base is already thin and this weather pattern will only make matters worse. So I probably wouldn't spend the money especially if he's planning on skiing later in the week.

He's particular to Keystone, but will go elsewhere if the conditions are more suitable elsewhere.
~Greg
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby gdthomas » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Keystone's base is even worse than Vail's so I wouldn't be too excited about skiing there either.

Postby jomagam » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:56 pm

It really depends on what you want to do. There will be plenty of groomed runs especially greens and blues at any resort. Tree runs will be sketchy and most ungrommed runs will have little rocks and branches. You can use http://www.skifreedeals.com/ski-resorts-colorado.html and get two passes for $58 at Loveland. Add $20 each for rental at Sports Authority and you're still only in double digits.

Postby Tommy Dorr » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:23 pm

I have never seen such bad conditions in CO at this time of year. Even powder days are bad. I'm not saying don't go. A day with your dad in the mountains should never be passed up. But just know that you guys will be mowing grass with your edges.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby ajkagy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:17 pm

if you can do a half day in the afternoon it might be a lot better since the snow will be softening up in the warmer temps, I would avoid anything in the morning with the icy slopes and the spring break crowds. I agree about loveland, probably the best deal and the south facing stuff off of chair 4 would probably be good in the afternoon.

Postby USAKeller » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 am

A friend of mine skied Steamboat this weekend and said the snow was horrible!
Don't ever let them outwork you. Rise and grind, every day.
Instagram

Postby Jon Frohlich » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:12 am

Tommy Dorr wrote:I have never seen such bad conditions in CO at this time of year. Even powder days are bad. I'm not saying don't go. A day with your dad in the mountains should never be passed up. But just know that you guys will be mowing grass with your edges.

While I agree that conditions are horrible right now I've still had some good powder days this year. 3/2-3/3 at Beaver Creek and Vail just recently were good. That being said Vail still doesn't have Steep and Deep and Skree Field open and I doubt those will open at all this year.

If all he wants to do is ski blue groomers anyway then it's as good a year as any other.

Postby fleetmack » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:36 am

Breck was ~ok~ on Saturday. Keystone was terrible on Sunday. I called it a day at 11:30, I wanted NOTHING to do with the Outback. Save your money.

At least I get some fun snow at Whistler this week!
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:43 am

Definitely avoid Keystone. Loveland was pretty decent a week ago, but the warm sunny weather doesn't help. The snow at big ski areas gets tortured by grooming and overskiing, so stick to the small areas in any case if you go. The next chance of snow in the forecast is about a week away.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Bean » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 am

Jim Davies wrote:Definitely avoid Keystone.

This is good advice even on the best years.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Next