Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Looks like we are in for some drier times

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Looks like we are in for some drier times

Postby Matt Lemke » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 pm

NOAA's climate prediction for the 6-10 day, 8-14 day, 1 month and 3 month outlook show very dry conditions for all the American Southwest and wetter conditions for all the Northwest.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

10 day forecast for Mt. Whitney calls for sunny skies and warmer temperatures every day.

10 day forecast in Leadville after tomorrow calls for sunny skies 8 out of 10 days.

Looks like El Nino is following its normal course this season. This is likely a bad thing depending on your disposition.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Re: Looks like we are in for some drier times

Postby traderaaron » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:Looks like El Nino is following its normal course this season. This is likely a bad thing depending on your disposition.

La Nina, but it is fading although the corollary years when la nina ended mid-winter were historically dry in most of Colorado, 1963 was a year where la nina ended in winter as expected to this year and it was dry until summer in many locations.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:37 pm

8-14 day outlook is horrible for predicting weather, sure it can generalize about a high pressure ridge, but anything 8+ days out is near impossible to forecast for. I wouldn't put too much stock in the long range monthly forecasts either, remember when NOAA issued their monthly outlooks with above normal precip for CO, yet we got a super dry december and the first half of january?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SeracZack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Stupid jetstream. I'm kinda wishing this year could have been like last year and the amount of snow we got last year. Although I'm sure Alaska is ready for some drier times!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:27 pm

I've gotten to the point that I don't put too much stock into the NOAA forecast anymore. Joel at opensnow has pretty much been my local weather man for two seasons now.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Doug Shaw » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:06 am

It's really drying like a mofo this morning in south denver. If it keeps drying like this, the drive home during rush hour is going to be horrible. In my experience, people drive poorly when there's this much dryness on the ground.

Postby gurlyclimber » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:25 am

There's a reason my bike rack is still on my Jeep. :D
There are some trips you never fully come back from.

Postby jam6880 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:44 am

telling the truth doug. +1 for that