Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

POWDER DAY!!!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

POWDER DAY!!!

Postby Mountainspirit » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:32 am

The boys are in lessons all day which means my wife and I get a powder day date here in Breck! :D
At least 8 inches of fresh pow since last night (likely more up high).
Where are you all headed and how are/were conditions?
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison

Re: POWDER DAY!!!

Postby BKullman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:35 am

Looks like Vail reported 9'' and it is still snowing outside. I'm still at work, but get off at 8 am and will be making a few turns this morning here at Vail and drinking a few beers before bed. Hope everyone has a great day on whichever mountain you choose to play on today.

Postby Magnum420 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:18 am

Copper for me... All the snow of the vail resorts, half the people.

Beave was nice yesterday and it didnt really start snowing until the afternoon, prob the best choice of the Vail resorts for today.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Chicago Transplant » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Beaver Creek for me, reported 9" at 5am, but it kept snowing into the early part of the ski day so it could have been 11 or 12 by the time the lifts actually opened at 8.30. I was on about the 6th chair to leave Grouse when they dropped the rope and I was literally the 3rd set of tracks heading into Screech Owl. Face shots for that first run!

Unfortunately Beaver Creek was abnormally crowded and it got tracked out fast. Grouse usually has hardly any people so they don't run the motor full power, unfortunately it got a little overwhelmed and they had to load every other chair for a while. I was even joking with the girl in the singles line ahead of me that we should start a rumor that they were closing Vail Pass at Noon to get all the people to leave so it would be like normal :lol:

Fortunately around lunchtime it thinned out, then I could start lapping the way I normally do, but unfortunately no more fresh tracks. The two times I ducked into the trees there was too much deadfall, but otherwise it was a good day and it nice to see stuff starting to fill in. Lets just keep getting these regular snowfalls and all will be well in the ski universe!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby chrismjx » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Magnum420 wrote:Copper for me... All the snow of the vail resorts, half the people.

Beave was nice yesterday and it didnt really start snowing until the afternoon, prob the best choice of the Vail resorts for today.

I heard Copper's power went out and the 3 main lifts at the base weren't running today? I sat in traffic on 70 for an hour before busting a U-turn on the emergency pullout and heading back to WP... When will something be done about I-70 traffic? Not soon enough...

Postby ajkagy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:40 pm

crested butte, 15" in 24 hours, 18" in 48 hours...nuff said
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Magnum420 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Yep, I believe power was out to all of copper. We were in line for the American Flyer when the lifts stopped. I think some people were stuck on the lifts for a pretty long time and it was snowing pretty hard right about then.

Copper was alot of fun until then, at least 10in by opening, probably more like a foot. Copper was pretty busy too, but the longest lift line we stood in was about 3-5min.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Muskie5280 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Power did go out to Copper around 11:15 today. We had just finished up our 3rd run in Resolution and got stuck at the bottom.

Waited 20 minutes and with nothing happening we decided to hike out. We climbed about 500 feet in a little under half a mile (makes you realize how steep double black is), there was a loud cheer from the bottom and we poked through the trees to see the chair running.

Not sure why it took so long as we ultimately spent almost an hour and a half trying/waiting to get out but we were just thankful we weren't trapped on a chair.

Ski Patrol was handing out free lift tickets up top when we got off to everyone.

Up until that point, it was the best day of the season hands down. Fresh snow everywhere, most of the icy spots finally buried. Just hoping ol' man winter sticks around!

Postby The_Godfather » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:03 pm

breck was sure nice. there was 10" and more in spots for sure. peak 10 was great early, and 6 chair held untracked locations late in the day. overall fantastic and makes me miss last season so much more now

Postby mrburns » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:55 pm

29" at Silverton. It did not suck. \:D/
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson

Postby Tony1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:Unfortunately Beaver Creek was abnormally crowded...

I was at Winter Park today and this pretty much accurately describes the first couple hours. The singles line at the bottom of the Super Gauge lift (6-pack) was so long it was going up the mountain. By noon, it had thinned to less-than-normal levels.

For the thread, Winter Park saw about half a foot of fresh snow, so there was powder to be had. Ski Patrol opened up more diamond runs - I was happy! However, the winds made the flat areas at the top of lifts like Sunspot, etc. like ice rinks, and ski lifts that were exposed to wind dropped you off on an ice ramp. Other than that, the runs were great and the rocks and tree stumps are finally being covered up!

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:15 am

I'll echo and say Breck was pretty darn good yesterday. I had fresh lines pretty much all day long. Wind was bad on the t-bar, trees were good, lines bad between 10am and noon (then it cleared out). Well worth the trip for yesterday. Heard patrol blowing the Lake Chutes area late in the day, or at least somewhere up there.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Next