Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skier injured during Berthoud Pass Avalanche

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Skier injured during Berthoud Pass Avalanche

Postby dehrlich101 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:24 am

Check out this video...

http://vimeo.com/34534418
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:50 am

ajkagy wrote:pic of the slide

Thanks for this photo and a great reminder.

My thoughts are, even though we know slope angles > about 30 degrees account for the majority of avalanche activity, it's still impressive to see what looks like a relatively low angle slope slide like that.
This has reinforced my feeling about carrying a slope meter as part of the avy gear triad.

Looking at the CAIC link, it was measured at 32 degrees. Given avy conditions around the state following late December's wind event, and what we've in the backcountry since, I plan to move the Slope Meter from the desk (where the Topograph on the back serves for trip planning in measuring slope angle off the map for intended routes) to the pack lid, where it really needs to be parked all winter.

Thanks again for this heads up. I hope this helps all of us to be more cautious, and perhaps thing about positive changes we can make in how we travel.

Postby COBuckeye » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:46 am

I agree that 32deg is fairly "low angle" from a skiing perspective, but based on my observations in that same area only hours after the slide, I can say that there is no way I would have been on anything >28deg. Everything was unstable, despite the "moderate" (yellow) forcast by CAIC that day, which re-inforces the need for continuous field observation, not simple faith in the CAIC forecast.

A slope meter is a great idea, especially if you are not good at "guessing" slope angles just by looking. One thing to keep in mind is that even minor terrain features (convex roll over) can create a slighly steeper area that is a good trigger point, even if the majority of the slope is lower angle.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Previous