Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I-70 Traffic Conditions

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

I-70 Traffic Conditions

Postby brianjdelehanty » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:54 pm

I haven't had to tangle with I-70 traffic yet this year on the way to the mountains, but i've also been going up at night and staying up in Summit. Are we in gridlock mode yet or can you still leisurely head up at say 9:00 from Denver and get to Summit by about 10:00?

Re: I-70 Traffic Conditions

Postby TeamDino5280 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:59 pm

It's not as bad as its going to get but it has started. So I would say no to leaving at 9 and being there in an hour.

Postby Carl » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:05 pm

It hasn't snowed much at the I70 resorts yet this season so I can't imagine traffic would be nearly as bad as normal.

Postby SolarAlex » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:21 pm

the traffic has been mild, but id say thats primarily due to the lack of snow. its really pretty dismal at all resorts along i-70...i was at keystone the other day and the coverage is laughable. even on river run there are plenty of doodoo brown spots. la nina is sure taking her time

Postby ajkagy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:24 pm

off topic but...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...x/ao.sprd2.gif

"Where is that supposedly reliable Nina storm track? Ask the polar vortex

The last few weeks, since the snow stopped, a positive phase Arctic Oscillation occurred that is approximate to the record for the last 60 observed years. The polar vortex, the pool of low pressure atop the globe, has literally sucked the northern storm track away from the lower 48. For the central rockies, potent low pressure in the polar vortex trumps typical La Nina jet stream patterns and turns our wet pinapple express into a dry alberta clipper that steers around us. We need the storm track to migrate south and displace the blocking ridge established in the east pacific. Unfortunate us, this trend does not yet show signs of significant weakening and the current prediction from NOAA is that the AO positive signal will reamplify back to near record levels over the next two weeks before returning to neutral or negative trend. If this forecast is correct, we can expect the current high and dry to continue into January because there is usually a 1-2 week lag from signal change to results in the lower 48. We'll get some modest snowfall here and there but the probability for a big multi-day system to fill things in is low until the AO flips negative and holds there for a week. Prolonged snowy weather in the mid-latitudes of north america correlates strongly with negative AO phase. If you got holiday plans for the Tetons (central rockies, in general), you might want to reconsider or, at least, leave your new skis/boards at home. Sure hope this is wrong, but it is hard to ignore the effects of such an anomalous factor like an AO positive phase 60 year event."
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby fleetmack » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:05 pm

i left beaver creek around 3pm last saturday and the sign right by copper said 20 minutes to the tunnel, and 3 hours to denver. so while i only went as far as frisco, this leads me to believe the season's bad traffic has begun
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Carl » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:06 pm

ajkagy wrote:off topic but...

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...x/ao.sprd2.gif

"Where is that supposedly reliable Nina storm track?

Yeah, I stopped wearing my "Viva la Nina" shirt a few weeks ago and started taking trips to Wolf Creek.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Carl wrote:Yeah, I stopped wearing my "Viva la Nina" shirt a few weeks ago and started taking trips to Wolf Creek.

still haven't been down there yet this year, i might have to get there soon...186 inches for the year, isn't that almost half their season avg and it's only mid December?
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby SolarAlex » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:13 pm

ditto to wolf creek, figures its not going to snow in summit county since i rented a place up there this year. sigh, its all my fault!

Postby jsdratm » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Last weekend the traffic wasn't bad at all. The only delay I experienced was caused by an accident on eastbound 70 that blocked the left lane.

Postby jam6880 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 pm

thanks for the info ajkagy. I will buy the tlt5 not the rocker2's

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 am

Carl wrote:Yeah, I stopped wearing my "Viva la Nina" shirt a few weeks ago and started taking trips to Wolf Creek.

I guess I should have bought the raffle tickets instead, eh Carl?
My shirt's not being worn, either.

BTW, Wolf Creek was spectacular today (Thursday).
We enjoyed freshies occasionally wind-blown up to waist deep until the lift stopped. The Knife Ridge has surprisingly poor coverage, but the rest of the place has got the goods.
If you're gonna spend long hours in a car, why do it on I-70 when the rewards are just crappy conditions and crowds?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Next