Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Help me convince her!

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Help me convince her!

Postby scott goldberg » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:18 am

here's some options for good hikes/snowshoes in the Dillon/Breck/Frisco area:

http://www.dillonrangerdistrict.com/index.htm

Postby gonzalj » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:44 am

Another good snowshoe to consider (especially if you are staying around frisco or summit county) is loveland pass. On the east side of the summit of loveland pass, there's basically a hill that connects to the ridge where you have numerous 13ers & 14ers (sniktau, cupid, grizzly, torreys & grays). Now to do the 14ers would be a long, long day, but if you wanted to get 1 or 2 13ers like sniktau & cupid or cupid & grizzly that might be a little more manageable (just really watch the forecast closely as the wind up there can get rough). Also, as already mentioned quandary's east ridge is not a bad option either and the views you'll get from either of those hikes/snowshoes will be pretty spectacular.

Postby peter303 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:54 am

I suggest snowshoeing or hiking part or all of the Mineral Trail around Leadville, about 45 minutes from Vail.
Its free, and generally broken-in by other hikers. It has some modest topography along the way, but wont be too exhausting.
Along many parts of the trail you'll have fabulous views of the 14ers Mt Elbert and Mt Massive.
Part of the trail in old eastern mine area feels rural and other parts skirt the edge of town.
It crosses Highway 24 in two places- one on the north side of town and the other on the south side.
I think there is free park near both of these. I usually enter it on the road where the Leadville Hostel is.
Perhaps other readers can give more precise directions.
I prefer Leadville over the more tourist-crowded I-70 locations.

As a bonus, drive another hour south to Buena Vista. You will stunning views of eight or so of the 14ers along the way.
If that doesnt make both of you immediately want to move to Colorado, then nothing will.
They are actually pretty moderate summer climbs when you do them. But they seem imposing from the road.

Postby SuperPolok » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:04 am

I second Mtngirl's reccomendation of Mayflower Gulch. It is a gorgeous, jaw dropping place, and a nice friendly snowshoe too. I've been back there many times in winter and never get tired of it.

Postby zoriloco » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:09 am

Actually I think we're full, give Utah a try..... :mrgreen:

Postby planet54 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Show her this! If she doesn't go for it ,well....
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby Steve Gio » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 pm

I'm with zoriloco. At least as far as the front rage is concerned. I am hoping we can eventually move into the mountains instead of Denver. Good luck with the move.

Postby jbchalk » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm from Charlotte, NC, and unless your moving from Asheville, Boone, or Blowing Rock, NC, I don't see the reason there needs to be any convincing in the first place!

Make it happen!

Postby Papillon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:30 pm

^^^

Life is too short to not live in Colorado...
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:44 pm

How does she like mold, mosquitos, and mud? You get less of all three in Colorado. The dry climate is one of my favorite things about Colorado.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby sanchomurphy1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Honestly, I would ask myself why Colorado. If you are simply looking for mountains and outdoor activities, other states such as Montana, Wyoming, & New Mexico offer similar if not better activities and mountains to play in. I am moving there this coming spring namely because of a job offer I received, but there are many places outside of Colorado that I would be just as happy to move to. A better list of what you want could help...
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow." -James Dean

Postby ajkagy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Carl wrote:So is she convinced or not? If not, my suggestion is to fly directly into Aspen, stay somewhere nice, eat well, and ask her to marry you. If that doesn't work, repeat again in August (absent the proposal). It ain't a cheap plan, but this is important.

^^^^ that's all the advice you need right there...
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Previous