Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Good snowshoeing conditions

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Good snowshoeing conditions

Postby Wally » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm in Denver for the weekend, and was asked by a friend to introduce him to snowshoeing while out here. Is RMNP an option - have they had enough snow to require shoes, and make it a worthwhile experience? I know the winds up there have been pretty fierce lately.

If not, does anyone have an idea that might be better? Dillon-area mountains? Thanks for any help.

Re: Good snowshoeing conditions

Postby Hornet22 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:54 pm

I just spoke to the Boulder RD office today and they said Brainard Lake (near Ward) has about 2 feet of snow, so that's an option. He did warn about falling trees on the trail due to the winds we've had lately. If your friend has never snowshoed before you can start out on the closed/unplowed road and then hit some trails once he's comfortable. Just get there early to park.

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:50 pm

No need to get to brainard early for parking anymore, they put in a lot with hundreds of spaces.

Heading up there sounds like the perfect intro to snowshoeing

Postby Wally » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:52 am

AndYouSeeMe wrote:No need to get to brainard early for parking anymore, they put in a lot with hundreds of spaces.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll try it out!

Postby jsdratm » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Tomorrow (saturday) is supposed to be a bit windy, but I think I'll give Brainerd Lake a shot as well. I read on the RMNP trail conditions page that the Bear Lake area has good snowshoeing as well.

Postby mountain_man » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:06 pm

FYI, for those who use twitter, RMNP posts conditions daily, sometimes more often than daily, on their twitter feed. I always tend to call them concerning road and trail conditions before I head up there, but it's kind of cool to see the trends in weather and snowpack.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby rixa77 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Wally wrote:
AndYouSeeMe wrote:No need to get to brainard early for parking anymore, they put in a lot with hundreds of spaces.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll try it out!

Hey can you get back to me with the conditions around brainard after you do it tommorow? Possibly heading up their with my cousin's husband on sunday thanks!

Postby MonGoose » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:30 pm

I am also interested in the conditions at Brainard Lake and I look forward to your update.

If you've never snowshoed or XC skied in this area, you're really missing out. The trails are really nice and peaceful through the woods. The lake, however, is always windy. You can also check out the Colorado Mountain Club (CMC) cabin Northwest of the lake. To get to the cabin from Brainard Lake, take the Mitchell Lake Road and the cabin is to the right just past the Long Lake Road junction. The cabin is pretty well hidden in the trees but noticeable with a green roof in satellite imagery on Google Maps. During the winter, CMC members do hut trips and during the day (approx 11:00am to 3:00pm) on Saturday and Sunday, they serve hot tea and cocoa. It's a great place to stop for lunch but can get crowded. I am unsure when they officially open for the season.

Does anyone have a link to a good winter recreation map of this area? It's important to know where you are because a few of the trails can lead you away from your car. When in doubt, take the Brainard Lake road back to the main parking lot. Although windy, it's the quickest way out of there if you find yourself in a pinch. I also highly recommend taking a headlamp with you just in case darkness comes a little quicker than you were expecting.

Postby Wally » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:54 pm

We ended up doing Sniktau today as a hike, and will be doing Brainerd tomorrow. I'll post an update afterwards.

Postby Maudie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:58 pm

MonGoose wrote: Does anyone have a link to a good winter recreation map of this area? It's important to know where you are because a few of the trails can lead you away from your car. When in doubt, take the Brainard Lake road back to the main parking lot. Although windy, it's the quickest way out of there if you find yourself in a pinch. I also highly recommend taking a headlamp with you just in case darkness comes a little quicker than you were expecting.

CMC Boulder has a pretty good map for winter:

http://www.cmcboulder.org/resources/brainardskimap.pdf

Postby MonGoose » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Alright folks, who has the Brainard Lake snow conditions update?