Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where to Ski?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Re: Where to Ski?

Postby MtHurd » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Crested Butte is probably your best option in my opinion. For something closer, stay in Frisco. You then have your choice of Copper Mountain, Breck, or Keystone. I think Summit County has a 3 day pass where you can ski all 3 resorts. They might even include A Basin but that is one you may not want to try as a novice.

I've skied Breck a couple of times, I wasn't that impressed. Loveland wouldn't be too bad if they had faster lifts.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Yes! Silverton is both close to Denver and great for novices!

:lol: Ya my bad didn't really read the inital post, don't go to Silverton.

Only thing I like in Breck is Lift 10, other than that you got cat walks, groomers and wind (lift 10 has the wind too). Beaver creek is pretty sweet and not too far from Denver and rarely has huge lines especially on the back bowl stuff even on days when Vail is about to explode with people. Crested is incredible but if you are novice like you said then it doesn't make that much sense to drive that far to not even do the gnarly stuff Crested is known for. If I were you guys I would stick with Vail and maybe venture over to Beaver Creek for a day when you think Vail will be filled.

In terms of buying food on the mountain, don't. Just bring a backpack or stuff it all in your pockets like I do! Chicken strips are great for this!
Last edited by FireOnTheMountain on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Copper or Winter Park is your best option.
Vail resorts is pretty much the devil incarnate.
Silverton, Crested Butte too extreme.
Wolf Creek, Monarch, Loveland too local.
Aspen, Telluride, Snowmass too glam.

Hell why not just go to Jackson Hole or Tahoe? In the end go where ever you want to go and have fun, any of the above places would probably love your tourism $$.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Don Eberl » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:53 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
Yes! Silverton is both close to Denver and great for novices!

Only thing I like in Breck is Lift 10, other than that you got cat walks, groomers and wind (lift 10 has the wind too). Beaver creek is pretty sweet and not too far from Denver and rarely has huge lines especially on the back bowl stuff even on days when Vail is about to explode with people. Crested is incredible but if you are novice like you said then it doesn't make that much sense to drive that far to not even do the gnarly stuff Crested is known for. If I were you guys I would stick with Vail and maybe venture over to Beaver Creek for a day when you think Vail will be filled. Hope you have fun!

Mr Middlebrook will hate me for saying this, but Breck has some great terrain. The E-chair, Chair 6 on a good Pow day, the T-Bar and lastly the one that almost goes to the top of peak 8. Snowboarders hate it because of all the traversing so more room for the skiers.
Some of it's majic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way.

Jimmy Buffett

Postby fleetmack » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Breck is almost an exact description of what you're looking for. Never understood why people say it's busy there or Keystone, I never have a problem (got about 600K vert last year over 30ish days, couldn't do that if lines were very long I doubt, seeing how I'm a weekend warrior) Nightlife blows in Keystone and Copper (as they aren't really towns, per se), so I'd stay in Breck, Silverthorne, Dillon, or Frisco. Plus your breck pass will work at Keystone, too, so you can vary your terrain.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby jlarocco » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:20 pm

You could stay in Boulder and ski Eldora.

It's less than an hour drive, has a lot of easier terrain, and Boulder is filled with people in their 20s.

Postby Dean82 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:50 pm

I personally like the Vail Resorts.If your riding for 6-7 days you can buy a epic local pass for $519, google Epic passes for other options. Gets you unlimited at keystone, Breck, a basin, and 10 days at either Vail or Beaver Creek. If you go to Vail check out Blue Sky Basin it can hit with snow. At Breck check out the Tbar even fun for snowboarders. If you Ride along the ridge you can get some deep snow in the trees. If you are here for the first Thursday of the month you can go to Loveland for $15, check out snowbuddha.com. Also, when you get here you can fill up at a shell gas station and get a buy one get one free for monarch, Copper, Winter Park, or Crested Butte. For beginners Abasin or Loveland would be a good choice and they have good prices on tickets. For places to stay check out summit cove in Keystone or the Comfort Inn in Beaver Creek. I like the Keystone places, but free breakfast at Comfort Inn.

Postby mts4602 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks for all the replies. I believe I can sort through all of this and figure out something haha.
Matt

Postby gonzalj » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:14 am

Well, Breck does fit the bill and definitely is a cool mountain town, but around the time you're here you will be dealing with longer lift lines and Vail will pretty much be the same way. Copper Mountain will probably be more manageable for skiing, but you don;t want to stay there as there is basically a non-existent social scene compared to Breck or Vail and from Denver those resorts will be anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half drive. Crested Butte on the other hand will probably be a 3 and a half to 4 hour drive from Denver, but that mountain town is one of the coolest in all of Colorado (hands down one of my top 2 favorites). As other's mentioned there will be more advanced terrain there compared to Breck, Copper or Vail, but extremely awesome town and not nearly as many tourists. Steamboat is also really cool and in general gets better snow conditions compared to Breck, copper or Vail and depending upon driving conditions will probably be about a 3 hour drive or just slightly less (unless there's a major storm which will make driving through rabbit ears pass sketchy). If you want close and easy I would say stay around Breck or Vail (and also consider skiing Copper as it's a cool mountain), if you want close and don't mind longer lift lines and a bunch of tourists. Steamboat can also have a good amount of tourists, but probably not as much compared to Breck or Vail. If you want something different, then you might want to consider Crested Butte. Also, lodging will be expensive pretty much everywhere around those times, so I wouldn't wait too much longer if you want to be able to find something and also avoid more potential rate increases.

Postby LetsGoHigher » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 am

Related Question....

Does anyone have tips for the best websites to buy lift tickets ahead of time? Looking specifically for good deals for Aspen during a trip planned in late January.

Thanks!
Is that the summit?

Postby MtHurd » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:38 am

I have never skied Steamboat, but I drove up there to check it out in October of last year. It is a very nice place. The drive did pretty much suck though on the way over there. I did drive the route to Vail on the way back. Nice scenery with some good views of the Gores and Flattops. Way out in the middle of nowhere though so don't try it if there has been a recent snow.

Postby tommyboy360 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:44 am

Here are facts:
Breck has LESS THAN HALF the acreage of Vail. Most places do... Vail is that huge

BUT most of Denver have an Epic Local or an Epic pass. Epic Local has to be purchased here in Colorado.
Breck is the #1 destination for incoming tourists and Denver skiers = Breck is the most crowded.
Draw a horizontal line across the lower half of Breck = SLOW HIGH DENSITY FAMILY ZONE. You only escape this on Peak 10.
Chair 6 is one of the slowest chairs at Beck. Combine it with the huge lines and 2-seat capacity and you have a big tourist trap.

These drive times are based on good traffic and weather and from DT denver. I think Vail pass is worse than rabbit ears due to the heavy interstate traffic.
Copper / Keystone = 1.5 hrs from Denver
Vail = 2 hrs from Denver
Steamboat = 3 hrs from Denver
Crested Bute = +4 hrs from Denver

Copper = no night life but has the best apres and on mtn beer on tap. All colorado beers at the INCLINE BAR AND GRILL are $3/pint. Includes more than a dozen good beers from Avery, Great Divide, Oskar Blues and New Belgium.

Key has no night life either with the exception of the goat. Go to the Goat (Soup & Whiskey) bar in Keystone.

CB, Breck or Vail are the best towns in this bunch. I would suggest CB as there are way less d-bags.
I have no opinion on the town of Steamboat. I know the mtn well and love the pow and tree skiing but I don't have much experience with their night life.
Last edited by tommyboy360 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

PreviousNext